2Likes
  • 1 Post By SubSailor
  • 1 Post By sbkdrew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Chain slider replacement

Dumb question, but how do you replace the chain slider? Mine completely disintegrated when I pulled it out of the garage for the first time this year. I have a new one on order but it looks like it goes around the swingarm somehow.

Just a guess so please correct any wrong steps;

1) Unbolt rearset
2) Unbolt the slotted guard
3) remove single bolt holding chain slider on
4) remove chain
5) remove front sprocket cover
6) remove front sprocket
7) clean the entire swingarm
8) slide new chain slider in from sprocket side??? (this is where I am messed up, as I don't know if it separates for this or if I have to remove the swingarm.)

9) reverse rest of disassembly steps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
The chain slider is also held in place by four little snap protrusions that fit into top and bottom holes of the swingarm, plus the bolt on the side.
The tabs used for the bolt on the side overlap, with the bolt fitting through the combined hole and into the swingarm. Those tabs may make the job a bit difficult passing through the opening near the front sprocket area.
On the surface, it looks like it's doable. But I replaced mine while the swingarm was off during an engine swap, so I can't rightly say.

As an aside, my original chain slider was still in good shape, and I could have used it without any worries, but I replaced it nonetheless as good insurance. I still kept the old slider as a spare.
MikeinCtown likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 09:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
I've done lots of these....I always have done it off the bike because it takes a good rapping with a hammer to snap those buttons into the swing arm.
MikeinCtown likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I think it really depends on how flexible the slider is. The remnants of what I pulled out were pretty hard and brittle, but the portions that broke off were like a gooey rubber mess. I'm just glad I wasn't but 100 feet from the garage when everything decided to get pulled into the front sprocket cover. Hopefully the replacement from Ronayers.com gets here soon. Its in the high 70s and 80s all week and my boss just let me know I can park in our indoor garage when I ride my bike. So it figured I can't even ride it now.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
It's not exactly soft. I put a new one on this winter when the swingarm was off. Had to hit it with a dead blow hammer.

2003 RC
1988 FZR1000R
2013 YZ-450f
1974 Yamaha RD350
1971 Honda CB500
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
I believe it's made from polypropylene, which is pretty tough.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

The slider came in today thank goodness. It is way more flexible than I thought it would be. I do see how the little pins that you need to push in would be a hassle. The original did not appear to have the button head on them, just the plastic that was pushed in. I figure a little lube and they'll pop right into place. Still going to have to remove the fairing, chain and sprocket, but it shouldn't be as bad as I originally envisioned. I'll try to snap some photos if I remember.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got mine on without removing anything at all.

I had the bike up on a rear stand. If I remember I taped the flap so that it's folded in and would not get caught on the sides and become an obstruction. I pushed in the chain slider coming from the floor and up into the front sprocket and let the teeth of the sprocket grab the slider and used some force to force, in this case I rolled the rear wheel to slip it through and VOILA!

TIP: I used one hand to apply upward force on the slider into the front sprocket teeth while the other hand to roll down on the rear wheel. It took a few tries until the teeth had a good grip on the chain slider.

It did not damage the chain slider at all.

Took me about 30-40 minutes, an hour tops, to have it all done. You'll figure it out if you try it on your own.

Last edited by RiceKilla; 05-29-2016 at 08:29 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I concur with RiceKilla, it's a tight squeeze and takes a bit of maneuvering and an extra pair of hands helped, but i did mine without removing too much at all.
Mine was very brittle and had broken off at the "u" end which wraps round the swingarm, so it pretty much fell off in two pieces after i unscrewed it.
After removing the chain guard, foot peg, sprocket cover etc was just a matter off sliding it under the chain on the top part of the swingarm between the frame and the front sprocket, working from the front backwards.
One person pulled (while also holding the chain up), the other pushed.
As i said i was lucky enough to have an extra pair of hands so the whole thing took 10-15min but working alone still very do-able.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode