OEM sprocket. Is this normal - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
OEM sprocket. Is this normal

Hi all, a quick question
I have just replaced chain and sprockets, I thought I would go with a replacement OEM front sprocket thought the rubber dampner was a good idea, DID 530 chain and renthal rear.
Well as you can hopefully see from the pic when the chain starts to run onto the sprocket the roller seems to sit on top of the tooth instead of meshing nicely in between the teeth. Is this the rubber dampner stopping the chain sitting right in the teeth or does aftermarket sprockets do this? I have noticed the points of the teeth are square, after market ones are pointed aren't they? Will it bed in and correct itself?
When I spin the wheel its makes quite a clunking noise as the roller drops into the grooves and surly this will cause rapid wear on both sprocket and chain. The old sprocket was hooked quite badly, but there was big indentations in the rubber where the chain had bedded in. Sorry more than one question
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sprocket.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	107290  

Last edited by Wiffer; 06-02-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
before you took this pic were you turning the back wheel by hand?

during normal operation the top section of the chain is under tension, not the bottom. all i can see in this pic is chain slack piling against the sprocket due to the slack being on the top. i don't think you have a problem at all here.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Not sure what you mean by the rubber dampner. If you are talking about the slider that runs along the swing arm, make sure that is in good condition. They are $40 plus shipping on the net and can be installed while you have the front cover off. I just did one on my bike as the old rubber slider broke apart.

As far as the sprocket, that is exactly what it SHOULD look like. Grab a socket, place it on the front and turn it counter clockwise to simulate how the gear will pull the chain. It should mesh smoothly no matter which direction, and the 16t is OEM size.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Cheers for replying, the rubber dampner is the part of the sprocket that has the writing on it in the pic, it is moulded onto the sprocket. I think its to dampen the noise. Anyway I have now fitted a renthal front as well and no problem anymore, no clunking noise or bouncing chain. The pointed teeth allow the chain to run smoothly onto the sprocket.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Pointy teeth or not, the chain should ride smoothly into the sprocket regardless and it should seat easily down into the valley for a perfect mesh, especially on brand new parts. I'm wondering if you just got a sprocket that was machined incorrectly?

Oh well, as long as you are happy with the results.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

yeah she's going good now, thanks for the replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode