SP2 Quits on me 150 miles from home. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SP2 Quits on me 150 miles from home.

Hello again all.

So I had a serious malfunction on my 05 SP2 today, in the middle of swift moving traffic, part way through a 268mile trip from NH to NY.

The bike showed no signs of loss of power through the trip, and around a lazy turn, the engine just quits. All the electronics stay on, but the motor just stopped. When I pulled over, I immediately switched off the bike and checked for leaks, smoke, or any signs as to what happened. Nothing. No overheating. No leaks. So I give it time to cool down anyways and when I try to start it, the injectors prime, the lights go through the proper sequencing, but the low oil pressure light stays on and begins to flash. The engine turns over confidently but doesn't start. Just cranks over. I tried switching the engine stop on and off and trying again but no luck. I eventually gave up and had it towed to a dealer.

Bike has just had an oil and filter change prior to the trip and electrically and mechanically had been operating fine. When I checked the oil level it was a bit higher then recommended filling the entire oil check glass when the bike is stood upright.

I am sorry for the long exposition but just trying to provide as much info as possible. The bike is being looked over as i stated above so I will post the findings but has anyone ever had this happen to them? Or know what the hell happened?

Thanks for all responses and views.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Did you check your fuses as well prior to having it towed?

Always a good idea to check a few of the key fuses (ie starter/fuel pump/main fuses, etc) and bring along some extra fuses during road trips.

FWIW your oil pressure "warning light" appears to be working as it should (in a nutshell - it will stay lighted prior to moving the key to the "start" position and rapidly flash as the bike attempts to turn over until the oil pressure sensor/circuitry senses the minium amount of oil psi required to keep things happy).

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Power Commander installed? Several threads on here where folks have had bikes not start due to failed Power Commanders.

r/
Dave

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Out of gas? Fuel light out?

2006 RC 51 #00064
2008 HD 1200XLN Blacked Out
2015 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
2014 Great Dane that drags me down the street
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Longshot, but did you try opening your gas cap to see if there was a vacuum in the tank? pinched off vent line?

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

@cobra , That would have been a good idea. I unfortunately didn't have any tools with me to even remove the fairing to access the fuse area. In the future I will absolutely keep some fuses with me and some basic tools so I can check over that possibility as well.

On your second point, would the oil pressure sensor not allow the engine to turn on in a low oil situation?

@David, I forgot to mention that. I do have a PCIII on the bike that was installed prior to my taking ownership. The bike has a Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander 3, Sprocket kit (not sure the teeth count), it also has what looks like some vacuum lines under the instrument cluster that have been disconnected and plugged. I think this is called a "flapper mod"... please apologize my ignorance as I am not very well versed on even the more common modifications.

So if a specific fuse goes out, the bike will shut off? This seems incredibly dangerous. Not to cry or anything, but I very easily could have been injured or killed as a result of this malfunction but I guess it can happen to all bikes. I am so disheartened by this issue as my RC had never given me problems before and it is my dream bike ='(

**Edit: Plenty of gas, I get anywhere from 100-120 miles per tank before the light pops and I was refilling every 70-90 miles .

As far as the vent line, I am not well versed enough in the bike design or general mechanical ability to have checked this possibility.

Thank you for all the responses!

Last edited by 2-2TheFloor; 06-21-2016 at 10:46 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Possibly the ignition pulse generator. I've seen it go bad all the sudden on a few RC51's and that is what happens. Everything seems to work fine, pump primes, engine turns over, but no fire.

Last edited by LDH®; 06-21-2016 at 11:10 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

**UPDATE**

So I just heard back from the shop.

No spark at all. They are suggesting it is an issue with the CDI module.

I am off to research what that is, and how cheap I can find one because they quoted me a $500.00+ price tag on just the part.

Any ideas how to proceed aside from the above?

Thanks for all the responses guys. ---> Added a photo of my girl...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f64c50c7-94de-4c3d-b148-63559327e86b.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	108450  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Going out on a limb here but I would check the bank angle sensor. That is supposed to cut the motor in the event of a fall.
I have heard of other Hondas having an issue with this failure.
CDI units generally don't fail unless there is a spike in the electrical system or a short of some sort.
I would also check all the electrical connections, corrosion inside on the terminals plays havoc with ECU controlled bikes.

However having said that you say it is at the Dealer so I would assume that they can do proper diagnostics.

I would be interested to hear what it is.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 11:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I you really need a new CDI, I have a spare brand new one I could sell to you (Which I bought when I had CDI problems - eventually traced to some bad wiring a previous owner had done, where a spark could jump between terminals and fry the CDI unit!).

$500 doesn't sound bad, I'm pretty sure that's what I paid a few years ago... 4 times - till I eventually found the fault (Even the Honda dealer didn't find the cause, they just replaced the CDI!)

I'd check fuses first, but doesn't sound as if that's the problem as any bike shop that didn't realise it was the main fuse wouldn't still be in the business of repairing bikes!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode