1Likes
  • 1 Post By grumpus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
running rough at low speed???

running rough at low speed???
Chaps, I'm a newbie so have very little knowledge of this bike, ps its also the first bike ive owned with fuel injection.
so i bought the bike this weekend and took it out for the first time monday night,the problem is its running real lumpy at low speed, it has a power commander fitted (pc3)
Im thinking ,because the bike has done very few miles in the last 2 years (300miles and 9miles respectively) that it could be just old fuel causing the issue?
im a very competant mechanic and have 4 other bikes that i tend to service myself so would the injection system bung up like a carb? if so how easy is it to tear apart and clean?
was thinking about sticking some sort of fuel system cleaner thru it and doing a few miles to see if it clears itself, taking it to the classic TT in two weeks so want it to be tickety boo for then.
details are 2000 sp1, 18 k miles all standard apart from power commander and yoshi slip on silencers.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
They are bad below 3000 rpm it does help lowering the gearing so at 30mph you are higher up in the rev range
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
try checking your fpr, they tend to go bad on these bikes.

lovin' my little torque monster.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

FPR ????? what is this?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 02:30 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
Fuel Pressure Regulator
There is a thread on here if you search for it that will walk you through it.

Riding is what keeps you on your toes...
~BOTM - April 2016, May 2015, September 2014~
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 02:36 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
This one should get you where you need to be.
https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/65-...regulator.html

Riding is what keeps you on your toes...
~BOTM - April 2016, May 2015, September 2014~
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

thank buddy, will do!
Luckyadam12 likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

ok so i checked the fpr as described in the other post, and it seems fine. have ordered one anyway so if it goes sideways i will be ready, Ive taken off the "yoshi" pipes that were on it as they turned out to be cheapo blue flame cans with HRC badges on, ive tested the pcIII thats on it and its mapped for standard pipes/airbox, so hopefully this could be the issue? will test it again on Saturday after ive done the oil and filter change.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I'll throw out my $0.02 to say that below 3500 RPM, the bike is difficult to tune for fuel. The rough nature is most likely a fuel issue or at least the majority of a fueling issue.

W/O a PC and aftermarket exhaust, the bike will run extremely rough because of incorrect fueling. With a PC, you can smooth it out but fixing smooth roll-on becomes difficult.

In most cases, jerky, rough or surging is caused by a lean fuel mixture. Adding fuel at the lower RPMs should help but since the RC is a twin, you have the two independent cylinders to try and tune which means it will be very difficult to manually fix without dyno time.

If you want, manually add some fuel in those lower rpms for both cylinders. I run the stainless yosh slip-ons and below 3500, my fuel map is adding around 10% in the various 2% - 5% throttle position cells. Above 3500, it removes 10%+ (-10%)

I run the PCV with autotune and noticed that the bike does not run smooth with an AFR above 13 in the 2% or 5% cells. Just my own personal experience.

If you do stepup to the PCV at some point, keep your PC3. There's a problem with the PCV and RC51 that causes an RPM bounce. Keeping the PC3 in and adding the 5 to it will filter the problem. (Do a google search for RC51 rpm bounce for more info)

Long story short, proper fueling at those low rpms should fix the problem.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 06:49 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I'm being lazy and don't feel like typing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirks View Post
They are bad below 3000 rpm it does help lowering the gearing so at 30mph you are higher up in the rev range
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyadam12 View Post
This one should get you where you need to be.
https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/65-...regulator.html
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsward View Post
I'll throw out my $0.02 to say that below 3500 RPM, the bike is difficult to tune for fuel. The rough nature is most likely a fuel issue or at least the majority of a fueling issue.

W/O a PC and aftermarket exhaust, the bike will run extremely rough because of incorrect fueling. With a PC, you can smooth it out but fixing smooth roll-on becomes difficult.

In most cases, jerky, rough or surging is caused by a lean fuel mixture. Adding fuel at the lower RPMs should help but since the RC is a twin, you have the two independent cylinders to try and tune which means it will be very difficult to manually fix without dyno time.

If you want, manually add some fuel in those lower rpms for both cylinders. I run the stainless yosh slip-ons and below 3500, my fuel map is adding around 10% in the various 2% - 5% throttle position cells. Above 3500, it removes 10%+ (-10%)

I run the PCV with autotune and noticed that the bike does not run smooth with an AFR above 13 in the 2% or 5% cells. Just my own personal experience.

If you do stepup to the PCV at some point, keep your PC3. There's a problem with the PCV and RC51 that causes an RPM bounce. Keeping the PC3 in and adding the 5 to it will filter the problem. (Do a google search for RC51 rpm bounce for more info)

Long story short, proper fueling at those low rpms should fix the problem.
And yes.

These are what I'd recommend as well.

Mine acted in the same way before I went with the PCV and AT, even with a custom map.

If yours is not a custom map made for your bike I would start there, as long as everything else is sound.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode