2002 won't crank - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2002 won't crank

When I tried to start my bike this morning, I turned on the key and got the expected fuel pump noise, headlight nice and bright, gauges went through the normal start up ritual, but when I push the start button it won't crank. The headlight turns off when the start button is pushed, as it should, but the starter does not engage. I don't even hear a "click" of a relay or solenoid. I hear absolutely nothing. I was in neutral with the clutch held in. I tried it with the kick stand up and down, in and out of neutral, clutch in and out, no difference. As soon as you release the start button the headlight comes back on. The gauge cluster never does loose power. I did toggle the handlebar kill switch a few times to see if it's the issue, but that didn't work either.
I had to jump in the car to get to work, so I haven't done any troubleshooting yet. I was hoping someone would have seen this before to save me from chasing wires all night tonight...

Thanks in advance!
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Same thing happened once, ended up being the battery even though voltage looked good it would just drop off when I'd hit the starter. Other than that maybe the starter relay.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Check your starter relay and starter fuse.
Remove the tail section, and the relay and fuse is on the outside of the subframe, left side.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
that isn't a starter fuse, that's the fuse for the whole bike. the starter isn't fused at all

first thing to check is for 12 volts on the coil side of the starter relay when you press the button. the troubleshooting path will be obvious once you do or don't have the signal to the relay
02RC likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Hopefully I'll have time to get into it tonight. Where exactly is the starter relay located? Hopefully I don't have to pull the tail... The lower fairing is coming off anyway to replace chain and sprockets this weekend.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
in the tail left side..............

lovin' my little torque monster.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

I had a few minutes last night, so I pulled the tail and found the relay. Nothing obvious wrong there, and when I short across the main lugs the bike cranks over. It's a little tough to check power to the relay when the start button is pushed since you have to unplug the connector to reach the connections. I'll make some jumpers tonight and print a wiring diagram so I can hopefully get to the bottom of this. My riding season is almost over and I'm missing it!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Problem identified. It's the start button on the handlebar. I made 3 jumper wires so I could get my volt meter between the starter relay and the connector. No power when the button was pushed, but I took my lead and bypassed the switch and it started right up. Next I took the handle of my screwdriver and gave the handlebar switch a little tap tap, now it works.
New switch on order, but it's not getting here till the 21st of the month. I guess bump starting is always an option...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
if you pull the switch apart you'll be able to solder repair the connection. they are prone to failure.

typically it's the wire to the headlight that breaks, not the one to the starter relay.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks for telling us what the fix was that helps us all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode