front turn signals - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
front turn signals

hey guys
trying to connect some aftermarket front turn signals to this bike of mine. they are just black and yellow wire. however on the wire harness it has a single wire (green) ground and two wire which are turn signal and running light. I have the diagram that I saw on here however how should I connect these wire if I don't want a running light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
ground to ground and turn signal to positive, just tape off the running light wire. i chased my running light wires back to the first connector and removed them, then retaped my harness from the connector to the breakouts.

lovin' my little torque monster.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I think the solid orange and solid blue are for blink. And the orange/white and blue/white are the running lights. It'll be easy enough to test with your new signal light. Orange is left, blue is right.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 04:05 PM

Garage
you are correct jon.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgspecial View Post
ground to ground and turn signal to positive, just tape off the running light wire. i chased my running light wires back to the first connector and removed them, then retaped my harness from the connector to the breakouts.
leave the negative wire to the turn signal alone? I tried both ways and nothing happens. where is my turn signal relay? it doesn't even blink or come on

thanks for the help so far
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 09:31 PM

Garage
youll have 3 wires on each side. green for ground, solid orange/light blue for blinker, and silver dotted orange/light blue for the running lights. you can essentially use all 3 wires if you have a 2 pole bulb by grounding the green wire to the housing if the bulb holder and connecting the solid wire to one pole and the dotted wire to the other pole, that way you can run 2 illuminations at the same time if you needed to sharing the same ground. with your bulb/light you only have a +/- so youd use green to - and you could either choose to run a constant on + with the dotted wire or have a normally open connection to the + with the solid wire so your relay can push power through that wire when you use the control switch. it has to work, the only thing id say is make sure to check your fuse box in the left fairing by the coolant overflow to make sure you didnt short a fuse and blow it. also, check to make sure you have + and - correct on the bulb side.

Last edited by jgspecial; 10-24-2016 at 09:37 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
you can essentially use all 3 wires if you have a 2 pole bulb by grounding the green wire to the housing if the bulb holder and connecting the solid wire to one pole and the dotted wire to the other pole, that way you can run 2 illuminations at the same time if you needed to sharing the same ground. with your bulb/light you only have a +/- so youd use green to - and you could either choose to run a constant on + with the dotted wire or have a normally open connection to the + with the solid wire so your relay can push power through that wire when you use the control switch. it has to work, the only thing id say is make sure to check your fuse box in the left fairing by the coolant overflow to make sure you didnt short a fuse and blow it. also, check to make sure you have + and - correct on the bulb side.
thats a lot of info to decipher lol. ill read it again tomorrow with a fresher head. I just want my blinkers to work, thats all. ill double check the fuse box. what did you mean on the last part by "make sure you have the + and - correct on the bulb side"?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:57 PM

Garage
i hear ya but im trying to help you. what i meant was make sure the yellow wire is really + and the black is really -.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
with your bulb/light you only have a +/- so youd use green to - and you could either choose to run a constant on + with the dotted wire or have a normally open connection to the + with the solid wire so your relay can push power through that wire when you use the control switch. .

so I just tried one of your ways. I connected the negative bulb wire to green wire and solid turn signal wire to positive wire and the dotted wire. if I did that both front and rear turn lights lit up. turn signal does not blink. if I used it, it just turned off.
relay out? where is that?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 06:41 PM

Garage
you dont use both the solid wire and the dotted wire.............. pretend like the dotted wires dont even exist, youre omitting them anyways. green to black, yellow to solid blue or orange depending on what side you are doing. you still havent told me if you checked the fuse for the blinkers yet. if all of your lights are turning on then you have the running light wire connected and if you used both the solid wire and the dotted you probably blew the fuse for the blinkers. check that first, doubt the relay is bad but it could be. not sure how much more i can help you at this point as the info im giving you is pretty cut and dry.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode