fuel leak? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
fuel leak?

An RC I am looking at says "excellent except for a small fule leak in upper right tank mount"

Big deal? BTW, that is Fuel

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
A well known SP1 problem. For most people it is a huge deal as a street ride. A new tank is $650ish. There is no easy fix (e.g., glue).
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This is an SP 2, sellers comment was easy to braze, then repaint the tank.
Sounds like it would cost way more than I want to spend, he has been driving it by putting in just a few gallons of gas.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 10:27 PM

SP2 tank leaks are very rare, only read of a couple reported here before. Just to be sure I'd examine the VIN closely and decode it to confirm it's SP2 (a few members here have posted SP1 bikes with altered VIN #s). Condition may have dictated someone changing to an SP1 tank earlier as well. Or someone may have compromised the vent lines which caused the leak as described (a thread alluded to something similar earlier). No matter what caused it, I take the price one would want to pay and tell the seller to deduct $650 so you can replace it with a non-leaking tank. Tell the seller they can keep the leaking tank if they want, fix it as they described and sell it themselves.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 02:34 AM
GWS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
The leak is likely not as easy to fix as the seller is claiming. As kwtoxman said, deduct the $650 from the price of the bike.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 05:37 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Garage
Unfortunately , The SP1 Fuel Tank Is obsolete / unavailable anywhere new and if they were they were over $1000 , SP2s are available for $610 but the color may be a shade different and or the marks wont be the same .... Well upon more searching Sub proved the marks are the same for a 2000 - 2002 (1st year of a sp2 /2002 ) , This is very good to know and can anyone chime in and let me know if the winning red / silver paint is in the same shade ? I'd love to get a 2nd tank . mine hasn't leaked .......yet

Growing old is mandatory , Growing up is Optional
BOTM / April 2014 , October 2016
Clint / 2000 RC51 #414

Last edited by CapeCodderRC; 10-26-2016 at 05:57 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
If you discover a leaking tank DO NOT TOUCH IT!! I forget where the thread is where I posted my experience with this, but long story short. Honda of America sent me a spanking new tank, AND I got to keep my old tank after they inspected it, and returned it. If you do anything in the way of attempting to repair it they won't touch it. Simply take your bike to the nearest Honda dealership, have a tech inspect it, and then contact H of A. They'll make a determination, and contact you within days after. Even after 16 years they stand behind their products (that or they don't wanna be liable for someone detonating whilst aboard one of their machines).

hope that helps.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 01:01 PM

I was going to mention that Honda may replace it for free and forgot. Good to bring it up, but note that not everyone has had success with getting a free replacement tank at this late juncture. Again, I'd tell the seller to do it himself (get the free tank) before selling or otherwise deduct $650 from the selling price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode