Exhaust leak - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
bpw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Exhaust leak

Ok... considering I'm fairly mechanical this feels stupid asking but I feel I need to. I've had my exhaust off and on like 5 times trying to fix an exhaust leak. I've never had a problem fixing or replacing headers on other bikes just the rear on this bike the front I get no problem. I cant seem to get the rear header to seal properly I've ordered new gaskets, Ive tried the copper high temp stuff in conjunction with the gaskets I've even tried shimming the nuts with some washers (not my favorite approach) to get more pressure on the flange. Any tips?

Also while I was there I wanted to do the gasket between the rear down pipe and the header so I took the old one out (that was fine) and the new one just isnt working out for me its way to thick. If I put it on the the down pipe it just pushes up past the point of being functional if I put it in the header the downipe wont go in without crushing the walls of the gasket and smashing it. Ive blown through several trying, do I need to lubricate it with something?

Thanks, feel like a noob with a wrench even though I'm not...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
They are an absolute pain in ass. I always buy more gaskets than needed, as i know i'm gonna chew through a few before it goes right. Not sure if there is an easy way, not much help i know. I feel your pain.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 08:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpw View Post
Ok... considering I'm fairly mechanical this feels stupid asking but I feel I need to. I've had my exhaust off and on like 5 times trying to fix an exhaust leak. I've never had a problem fixing or replacing headers on other bikes just the rear on this bike the front I get no problem. I cant seem to get the rear header to seal properly I've ordered new gaskets, Ive tried the copper high temp stuff in conjunction with the gaskets I've even tried shimming the nuts with some washers (not my favorite approach) to get more pressure on the flange. Any tips?

Also while I was there I wanted to do the gasket between the rear down pipe and the header so I took the old one out (that was fine) and the new one just isnt working out for me its way to thick. If I put it on the the down pipe it just pushes up past the point of being functional if I put it in the header the downipe wont go in without crushing the walls of the gasket and smashing it. Ive blown through several trying, do I need to lubricate it with something?

Thanks, feel like a noob with a wrench even though I'm not...
I do not see it in the manual but some exhaust gaskets require an oil soak. I do not recall doing this for the RC.

To hold the RC exhaust gaskets "in place" I have used grease and it worked every time. It seems I may have been fortunate. One item on the exhaust port, make sure the mating surfaces are cleaned well.

Good luck!

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my system on & off a few times, primarily to replace the worn-out clamps/gaskets. I always used genuine Honda parts and it always went back together with no leaks, without the need for any grease or other materials. The tricky part is getting the end cans aligned so there are no kinks in the pipework and the two ends look symmetrical. Best advice is to start at the headers and put each section together and leave the joints lose; then just keep repeating "tighten a bit & check alignment" and eventually it all goes in lace and looks fine! As I recall, the Honda clamps have a gasket that crushes as you tighten, so you only really get one chance of doing it right, hence the time-consuming steps of "a little at a time". But the ultimate solution is to replace the whole thing with a full Akrapovic system then there are no gaskets or clamps :-)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
bpw

A full Akra would be sweet, but the leaky area I seem to have trouble with is the right out of the rear head. I'm happy with my GP Ladybird's though they sound awesome when its not leaking lol. I just put new gaskets in and got new clamps as well. I slobbed a bunch of the high temp copper gasket maker on both exhaust ports put it together yesterday and let it sit over night of course there's new OEM gaskets in there as well. I'm getting the slipon's mounted today gonna fire it up heat cycle it hopefully no leaks then re tighten it all once it cools again. The gasket from the rear down pipe to the header went smooth this time not sure what I was doing wrong but I got it this round. Really took my time as I'm sick of doing it over and over. I don't mind maintenance or fixing stuff but doing it over and over and over gets frustrating.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
bpw

Seems like I got it now, maybe I just needed a lil pep talk lol.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode