• 2 Post By Cloudini5
  • 1 Post By LDH®
  • 1 Post By Venom RC51

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Flash or not to flash

Hi! Ok, I'll admit right off I'm not an RC51 guru by any means. I have an SP2 in decent shape with some nice mods.

Currently i have a PCIII USB installed (and a PCV in the box). But i hear the term Flashed ECU a lot. Is this something done along with, or instead of the Power Command? And, well... why would an ECU get flashed?

Part two? PCIII works just fine, any benefit to the PCV?

Thanks for the education!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
no major benefits between the PCV and the PCIII, they do the same job, only thing is that the PCV is an updated unit with the access to connect an Quickshifter too it or an Autotune sensor.

Speaking of flashing the ECU, it gets done on a couple of modern bikes, dont think it can be done on the RC51

greetings
MOTO557556 and glenburke49 like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Flashing can be done it is just not widely in use nor price effective as there are no major gains in performance over a quality tune with a very cheap piggyback unit like the PCIII , PCV, Bazzaz etc unless of course you raise the rev-limiter when doing the reflash which is also a quick recipe for grenading the engine.

Just for the sake of clarification: ECU-Flashing is overall better with modern bikes than piggybacking them. The main reason is there are so many Emissions compliance regulations enforced now on current machinery that they are in many cases VERY detuned from what the engine can output. They do this to pass those tests by various EPA style agencies in countries all over the world so now instead of just fine tuning your engine with a piggyback module you can literally allow the engine to function at a higher performance level all around. Much higher than the piggyback tuner alone would ever be possible of because the software in the ECU is holding back the performance not just the amount of injector dwell time feeding the engine fuel.

With ECU flashing you can also change all the other parameters too. Injector Bias, Traction Control Slip Tables, Secondary butterfly control, OEM Quickshifter settings, Exhaust Servos. Basically any function in the ECU can be altered or removed etc with enough effort.
Trace likes this.

Last edited by LDH®; 02-08-2017 at 05:24 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I always understood you could not Flash the RC51 ECU. If you wanted to have the rev-limiter raised you sent it to a company and they would cut the rubber filler out and replace a resister.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
All great feed back! Thank you! No need for the grenade... so I'll leave the rev limiter alone
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yeah do the soft limiter but leave the hard one...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Waldo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode