Aftermarket underslung caliper brackets - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sbkdrew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Aftermarket underslung caliper brackets

Just installing underslung braket with Behringer 2D1 caliper. I am using a BST wheel with Brake Tech iron floating rotor. Anybody using this combo or similar have any clearance issues? Wheel to caliper clearance problems or any issues with floating rotor buttons contacting underslung bracket? Trying to figure out my issue and looking for a little feedback. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm running the same setup, I'll have a look as mine seems to be ok.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I don't have problem with the buttons but the seller of the bracket/caliper said it was a known problem with the Brake Tech rotors. I have plenty of clearance there but initially thought that was the problem. When i rotated the wheel slowly it would catch every 90 degrees. Looking at it from the axle head on it appeared to stop when the button was entering the bracket clearance. Took a feeler guage and was good for .010" which should be fine. Looked some more and found the "fingers" where the rotor bolts to the wheel would contact the top of the caliper. Since there is a mount every 90 degrees it would catch there. I can rotate past because I think it uses the radial clearance of the axle to shift away from the caliper. It appered to leave what looks like paint from the alloy rotor mount on the wheel. Hope this is clear, kind of hard to describe. thanks for checking Amp1.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry Adam! amp1 by mistake.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
I am running one of Andy Goetz underslung caliper mounts, a Beringer 2D1 caliper, and a Galespeed floating rotor with stock wheel, and have no clearance issues at all. Bike is all apart now or would send pictures.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:42 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlymptonRC51 View Post
I am running one of Andy Goetz underslung caliper mounts, a Beringer 2D1 caliper, and a Galespeed floating rotor with stock wheel, and have no clearance issues at all. Bike is all apart now or would send pictures.
can you double check that the brake pads are completely in contact with the rotor.....and not sticking out past the outer diameter of the rotor. i'm in the middle of reevaluating the geometry of the hanger right now. Thanks
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:52 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
I will when I put it back together and let you know. Will mount it up tomorrow and check
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool

Still waiting to hear from seller about my underslung bracket. I saw the post from last month in general rc discussion from Denver Larry where he has issue with bracket apparently locating the caliper where the pads overhang the rotor outer diameter. Similar to sbkdrews question but Denver looks like he's using a stock rotor and underslung with a billet Brembo caliper. Right now my pads are about 1.5mm from the edge of the rotor but if the caliper was moved outboard, which would solve my wheel/caliper problem, then the pads may come to the edge of the rotor. Looks like not a lot of margin for error with the underslung brackets and the various combinations of rotors and caliper. Well I told myself to be patient when I started doing all these mods but I'm so anxious to get this back on the road to get a feel for all the changes. AAaaarrrggghhh! O.K. Negra Modelo break.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 07:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
I re-dimensioned my current model and moved the caliper mounting holes up (towards wheel center) 5mm and hopefully will be seeing a printed part of it to mock up fitting again and see where it fits.
Motleyfan likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkdrew View Post
I re-dimensioned my current model and moved the caliper mounting holes up (towards wheel center) 5mm and hopefully will be seeing a printed part of it to mock up fitting again and see where it fits.
Are you getting a printed one or mock up made? I bit the bullet and ordered a small run... Fingers crossed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode