trouble in mountains - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
trouble in mountains

hey everyone! hope that I can get some help on this forum as I am stumped. had a great ride up the 191 in AZ AKA route 666 the devils highway and rode around pinetop all day Saturday then sunday morning 15 to 20 mins after fueling up, as I headed back down the mountain towards home. 2004 rc51 starts to hesitate here and there and I thought it might be the road at first, then it progressively got worse until it died. was able to restart and go a bit further before it happened again. It died on me like this about 5 times before it would not start. luckily a family with a huge truck and empty trailer saved me and took me home. got her home and tore her apart. I jumped the service connector and got two codes, 10 & 14. so I followed the manual and unplugged those connectors and the light went off. gonna disconnect, inspect, and clean every connector today and put her back together. hopefully that fixes it. does anyone have experience with a similar problem. I would greatly appreciate any ideas or advice you all can provide, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
FPR gone down?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I'm wondering if the bike was stored for a while before your ride? The fuel pressure regulator is one of the common things to fail on our bikes and it wont send a code.

Also, are those two codes you found new ones, or is it possible they were old stored codes that hadn't been cleared?
Did you see them flash when you were riding, or upon attempts to restart?
Great idea to go thru all the connectors, especially the stator and reg/rec. Remember, dielectric grease is your friend.

The problem could also be coming from a weak battery, loose battery connections, or a compromise in the charging system - the stator or reg/rec or connectors.
Did your dashboard do anything weird, like reset?
Some testing of these components may be in order.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I'm wondering if the bike was stored for a while before your ride? The fuel pressure regulator is one of the common things to fail on our bikes and it wont send a code.

Also, are those two codes you found new ones, or is it possible they were old stored codes that hadn't been cleared?
Did you see them flash when you were riding, or upon attempts to restart?
Great idea to go thru all the connectors, especially the stator and reg/rec. Remember, dielectric grease is your friend.

The problem could also be coming from a weak battery, loose battery connections, or a compromise in the charging system - the stator or reg/rec or connectors.
Did your dashboard do anything weird, like reset?
Some testing of these components may be in order.
thanks for the help guys!!

the bike never sits for much more then a week, I will test the FPR, and charging system. haven't yet. the MIL FI code 14 was on for certain when I started to work on it. when this code goes through the fuel pump wont prime when ignition is turned on. code 10 for the BARO sensor might have been stored. I cleaned and inspected most of the connections yesterday and pulled fuses and check all those. battery was the first thing I checked, super tight no corrosion plenty of juice. I haven't been able to find a obvious reason for this nonsense. the ECM just loosely sits in the battery box and is pretty rough looking. Dashboard didn't do anything weird. FI light was coming on after about 15-20 mins of riding and turns off everytime I turned off the bike. idk it sure would be nice to find the culprit
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 08:29 PM

Just looked up code 14. That's Number 2-1 injector. I've never been into the injectors, aside from cleaning connectors.
Let us know what you find.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Cool

so guys, after a weekend of thoroughly cleaning and inspecting wire connectors and wire harness.. I got her all back together. she fired right up. the only thing I found wrong was a bit of corrosion in one pin in the front 20 p grey connector that was electrical. my exhaust clamps were extremely loose and I could spin them by hand. Would the loose clamps cause a poor running condition? bike runs good no misses, no FI light. although I didn't take it on a long ride it was about 30 mins and no probs. just hope that the next time I go for a mountain ride I have no issues. so IDK. loose exhaust clamps
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
No, no way loose exhaust clamps would cause the bike to die.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 06:37 PM

Just tighten the clamps, I can't see any way they would give you the symptoms you described.
Be sure to clear all stored codes before your next ride. That way if you get any flashing FI light, you know it's new and relevant.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't know why.... but on one of the RC's I rebuilt.... it did the same thing after riding it for awhile. I'm also up in northern AZ, Prescott. No codes, nothing! Could not figure it out. After some troubleshooting it seemed like a fuel issue so I replaced the fuel pump and it fixed the issue.

Not sure if that's your issue and it sounds like you're doing a better job and Troubleshooting than I did. But the symptoms were similar sooo I thought I would throw in my two cents.

On a side note. If you ever bring your piggy to Prescott, hit me up! We have KILLER twisties up here!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

THANKS AGAIN GUYS FOR YOUR HELP. much appreciated. So I cleared all codes and rode her up to Globe and back down through Winkleman. bike runs great! I guess I will just keep on riding until it throws another code or dies on me. I did my very best to find a problem and came up short.

side noted charly, although its getting so damn hot here might take the summer off. the only way to ride here is to go super early, or to stay out late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode