Rich Running?? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By LDH®

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rich Running??

Hi All, been having an issue with my SP, it has Delkevic carbon slip on cans, K&N filters and a PCV ... The bike is running really rich and smells of fuel.. changed the plugs last week and fitted the PCV and filters, hoping this would clear the problem. Went for a ride out last night and used a tank full of fuel in 70 miles..
I have read previously that it could possibly be the MAP sensor or Fuel Pressure Regulator. Should I go down this route?
With the bike being used I am not sure if the ECU had been flashed previously and the PCV is adding extra fuel when not required..
Any guidance will be gratefully received as sun is out and want to get some miles ridden..
Cheers in advance Colin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
It's either a bad map or a faulty Fuel Pressure Regulator. Probably the latter if the problem was there before the PCV install.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
It's either a bad map or a faulty Fuel Pressure Regulator. Probably the latter if the problem was there before the PCV install.
I recently had this same problem and LDH made it clear to me that the FPR is the likely culprit, and it was. If you pull the vacuum hose off the FPR and a bit of gas drips out.....bingo. If it doesn't drip out, but then drips (or squirts!) when you turn the key to "on" and pressurize the FI system....bingo again.

As for your PC map [you can't reflash the ECU, thus the need for a PC] it can become corrupted by fiddling with the buttons, as discussed in my post here: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/11-...over-time.html. But it would take some serious corruption to drink a tank of gas in 70 miles.

2000 RC #001201
2014 Duc MultiStrada
2013 Corvette Grand Sport
1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst Edition

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 12:22 PM

PCV do not have any buttons
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
PCV do not have any buttons
Oh! Never mind......

I have only old stuff and didn't know that. "No Buttons" is a good thing!

2000 RC #001201
2014 Duc MultiStrada
2013 Corvette Grand Sport
1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst Edition
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
thanks for the Info, I assumed it was the FPR but always good to have a second opinion.. have got the day free tomorrow so will investigate and test it.. problem seemed to occur around time of fitting PCV so will test FPR before taking PCV out of the loop... Much obliged.. Colin
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace View Post
Quote:
I recently had this same problem and LDH made it clear to me that the FPR is the likely culprit, and it was. If you pull the vacuum hose off the FPR and a bit of gas drips out.....bingo. If it doesn't drip out, but then drips (or squirts!) when you turn the key to "on" and pressurize the FI system....bingo again.

As for your PC map [you can't reflash the ECU, thus the need for a PC] it can become corrupted by fiddling with the buttons, as discussed in my post here: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/11-...over-time.html. But it would take some serious corruption to drink a tank of gas in 70 miles.
Thanks for test information, will give it a go tomorrow and report back.. starting to sound like FPR is place to start.. cheers for the help..Colin
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 05:28 PM

Personally I would urge everyone to replace their FPR right now if they have never done so up to this point. They all eventually fail with time and every RC51 out there is at best 10 years old. It was the first thing I did once I tore down the last SP2 I purchased. You can do it now or do it later, but you will end up doing it...

drperry likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Yep. Just replaced mine & bought a spare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode