Blinker On A Blink - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Blinker On A Blink

Hi, Guys.
I have a 2002 RVT1000R that I purchased new in Houston, TX. The bike is now in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, with about 26000 miles. I recently noticed that the right front blinker takes a long time before it starts to flash, when I first use it on a ride. Subsequent uses are not delayed in their response. i.e. It starts it's action right away.
Should I be worried ? The only things I've done are to raise the tank to service the K&N filters & to replace the battery, which is of a slightly lower amperage compared with the original, as those are not available here.
Traffic here is crazy, with cars not uncommonly trying to race you & getting upto 150 MPH on the freeway in town (!). If someone flashes their lights for you to mover over from the fast lane, it's best to do so or get risked getting bumped (or worse), from behind. No eating burgers, talking on the 'phone or texting, while you are parked (!) in the right lane. I just love that.
Ride Safe & Friendly (like they say in Texas).
Regards,
Dr. Rahi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Is it just the front right signal, or is it also the rear right signal as well?
If it's just the front right, it could be a wiring problem.

Possibly at the signal light connector or towards the rear.
Is the bike using OEM signals, or aftermarket signals, such as LED?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a similar problem with mine if it is in fact both front and rear. When I purchased my bike the first time or two of using the blinks they would have quite a delay but it would go away with use. I took the blinker switch on the clip on apart and cleaned it with elec. cleaner and re lubed it with some dielectric grease and it solved the issue. Hope this helps.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Blinking Banter

Wow ! Thanks ever so much for such quick replies to my worries, Guys.
Thanks, SubSailor & Angry Outcast. The problem is just with the R front indicator. The lights & blinkers, as everything else on the bike, are stock.
What both of you say makes perfect sense & since I am "DIY Challenged", I'll take it in to the Honda Service Center here in Riyadh to check it out. I'm changing the look of the bike from a US spec to the Euro colors of a UK edition, which'll be white with grey Honda stripes. I think everything should be a straight fit, as I'm ordering OEM parts from a Honda dealer in the UK. The fuel tank looks real 'purty' in white. I'll post 'photos of it, once I finally have an opportunity to swap out the parts, when I get them after Christmas.
Thanks, again, guys. I don't feel lonely here with my bike anymore, knowing y'all are just a mouse click away !
Ride Safe & Friendly.
Regards,
Dr. Rahi,
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 07:20 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
check the small writing on the bulbs. If one or more bulb replacements that someone fitted are of higher wattage than specified, this can cause the indicators to operate at a slower frequency. I don't know what the original spec. should be for bulbs as I use LED's on mine so can't check, but someone on here might know?
In any case of one is of higher rating than others, replace with lower rating. You'll see your indicators will flash quicker as a result.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, Stig.
Since the UK spec bike has the same amperage battery, I'm assuming the bulbs for the indicators should not be a problem. Just that UK bikes have different shaped indicators, with sharp edges, while my US spec bike has rectangular ones with rounded edges. I'll call the UK dealer after Christmas & make sure, just the same. I can hardly wait for the parts now, especially looking at your Euro spec bike. I'm going to be crying myself to sleep until I get those parts. I'm trying to see if a local shipper can fly my parts over, as the dealership quoted me a price of GBP 638.00 to ship via UPS. A 'plane ticket to 'Ol Blighty costs less than GBP 400.00.
Take Care & Ride Safe & Friendly.
Regards,
Dr. Rahi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode