LED replacements - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LED replacements

Hey everyone,
I am new to this whole rc51 wiring deal. I have a 2003 sp2 rc51 and am swapping out the hotbodies turn signal. Since I am going from LED to LED, is it safe to assume there is a dimmer installed somewhere in the series? The light intensity changes upon brake application. I am curious if I have to buy a new dimmer or if there is one somewhere else. Thanks for the advice and the welcome to the group.
Best,
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
there are 2 different circuits in the led fixture. there should be 3 different wires (ground, low illumination, and high illumination). if theres integrated turn signals there will be one more wire per side. if the light is bright then you probably got the brake hooked up to high illumination instead of low illumination, making the brake light essentially not be able to brighten because its already at its brightest. best thing to do is to use a probe that you can ground to the bike and when you touch the end of it to the wires in the lighting harnesses you will see the light come on depending on what switches are being used on the controls. if you have the bike on you should only get one wire that gives voltage (the constant illumination), thats where id start. then, put your left directional on and see what wire makes the probe blink. do the same with the right blinker. now, go to the right side of the bike and press the brake down while touching whats left and that should be your brake illumination wire. you only really need one ground out of the 3 (all the green wires) that are there to work everything because they really all go back to the same spot. i dont remember what colored wire goes to what but probing definitely solves it. this is if the connectors have been completely cut off. if they havent and the person left the tails from the connectors, then i believe the blue connector is left blinker and the orange is right blinker. im sure after i post all of this someone will be able to tell you the wire colors, thats my luck. hope i helped you out and you can understand what i mean.

lovin' my little torque monster.

Last edited by jgspecial; 07-24-2017 at 06:03 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

I only have 2 wires per light (2 for turns signals and 2 for brakes). I have two for the brake lights and two for the turn signals. I was reading that LEDs do not respond like regular incandescent bulbs. I do not want to lose my intensity change upon brake application. I wonder if I can just connect LEDs and it will behave the same way as the hot bodies or if there is a mechanism in the hot bodies to dim and brighten. I hope this clarifies what I am asking.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 06:14 PM

Garage
so youre saying that there is only 2 wires in each light? that doesnt make sense. you need a ground for it to work so that tells me you only have 1 lighting circuit in each bulb. i dont see how youd ever be able to put the brake on or do any type of directionals. a picture would be excellent.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 06:20 PM

Garage
i looked at a bunch of listings on ebay just now and for rc51 hot bodies undertail and all of them basically say integrated signals. not sure what you got going on there.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Heres the wires from the inside. theres two wires into each set of lights. one for the turn signal and one for the brake lights. The brake lights brighten upon brake pressure. I hope this helps. I appreciate your guidance and patience .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turn signals.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	118642  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 06:23 PM

Garage
oic, theres one of those setups per side correct?

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 06:25 PM

Garage
so you have black, orange, red, and blue. i bet black is ground. jump a wire from your battery ground to the black and from the positive jump a wire from it. use that wire to test your circuits. i think blue is constant, red is brake, and orange is blinker. you can run your + to the blue wire and touch the red to it and see if it gets brighter or visa versa.

Last edited by jgspecial; 07-24-2017 at 06:30 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

yup thats my left turn signal/brake light. If I were to splice that running light into another led light bar do you think I would still get the intensity change upon braking? I suck at this whole electricity thing.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

i do not, I also dont have a voltometer anymore either....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode