custom handlebar switches (feeler? maybe?) - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
custom handlebar switches (feeler? maybe?)

hi all,

just sharing my latest project. i've been working on a design for custom handlebar switches.

my current bike has the need for a couple of extra functions (garage door opener, button for translogic dash, i wanted a fan switch), so i decided to build some custom switches for the bars.

if there is interest in these i may consider making some for the general market (they will bolt on in place of the master cylinder caps)

the brembo RCS and oem honda master cylinders use the same bolt pattern, so i could produce these fairly easily without too many iterations. my bike uses billet masters so the bolt pattern is different. this is the same pattern for the forged brembo masters.

as it stands i've only prototyped them (these are 3d printed). the switches are otto-excellence rohs compliant ip68 push butttons. i was going to use the ebay specials, but upon receiving them i can tell they just aren't up to the task. the ebay switches are about 1$ each, the otto ones are 13 for the momentary ones and 20 for the maintained ones. so most of the cost would be in the switches themselves.

pictured i have 6 switches on the left, 3 on the right. to make these work exactly as they need to without putting too much juice through the switches there will be a couple of relays involved.

on the left i have planned

brights, rad fans
left signal, right signal
horn, dash push button (aux for everyone else)

on the right

kill switch
garage door opener (aux for everyone else)
start button

once i have actually produced and finished building my set, i'll see what's all involved in making these totally plug and play with supplied harnesses etc. i'd like to produce these for interested parties, but it's going to be either all or nothing in this case i suspect.

finish will be machined aluminum anodized black. all electronics will be potted with epoxy for weather resistance and durability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switches.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	119306  
DannyBoy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 11:27 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
They do look pretty cool. I would probably be interested.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

Are the buttons push on/ push off or one is on and another is off? I currently have my high beam switch and my auto tune switch on the left clip on.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

the high beams, fan switch, kill switch are all alternating action (push on, push off)

the rest are momentary (push on, release off)

for my bike my signals will be self cancelling so i'll use momentary buttons

for others i'd probably use push on, push off buttons for the signals to simplify the wiring and reduce costs.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 11:41 AM
Premium Member

What sort of price range would you be looking at? Would you be able to custom designate the switches? i.e KLS kill switch etc
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

i could just wire them so you have an open harness and you can set it up any way you want. you would have to specify momentary or latching switches though.

for custom stuff it definitely wouldn't be plug and play, the buyer would have to do some work.

i haven't thought too much about pricing. but the left switch would probably be ~300, the right around 225-250? as i said it's not going to be super cheap simply because of the cost of components.

i'll have to see how much additional cost all the wiring stuff brings with it, and of course the time to actually build these things.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

I'm interested. Did you have any issues with the dash being compatible with the RC?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

the dash works as it should. speed, rpm, temperature, gear position, oil pressure, neutral, high beam indication, and signal light indication all work as they should.

i'll be adding a little LED indicator strip to have the EFI light, low fuel light, fan status, and i may move my signal indication over as well.

the dash comes with its own temp sensor and speed sensor, so it's pretty straight forward.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

Looks pretty cool! So i'm interested in at least the left side. I would ask that they all are push on/push off though and I would not really need plug and play as I pretty much have a non OEM set up now.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

you need 6 latching switches? what for!? hahaaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode