Fork Rebound Issue - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fork Rebound Issue

So currently, the biggest issue I have right now with my new-to-me '02 RC is suspension related. In adjusting the settings back to factory specs, I encountered a problem. On the left side from fork as your sitting on the bike, when you attempt to dial in the rebound all the way CW to full factory hard, the adjuster screws down into the fork itself. On the right side, turning CW to hard, the adjuster stays "on top of" the preload adjustment nut, if that makes sense. Once I am able to post photos I can if that will help.

At this point, I have no clue what to think about this. Clearly, this isn't normal and to me it's indicative that there's a problem somewhere. What, or how severe, this problem is is the question. I'm not leaking a bit of fork oil, and from what I can tell, it doesn't suffer from any major handling issues. It feels stable in the corners at speed, and appears to handle just fine. I've talked to several different Honda mechanics at different shops and none have an answer. They all have said that it appears fine, as no oil is leaking, and the handling is normal. Mentally however, it doesn't seem right, and I don't have the confidence in the bike I should, especially while riding it briskly in the corners.

Thanks for the help and any insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Somebody has fucked up the cap height with the jam nut and quit frankly who knows what else is messed up inside...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

That's entirely possible, as I just replaced that jam nut. It wouldn't fit correctly on the preload adjuster and it looked all goofed up. A new one from Honda took care of that problem.

Yesterday afternoon I had the chance to talk to another "certified" Honda tech/mechanic and I explained the issue. It was kind of funny as he was able to finish my train of thought and knew exactly what I was describing. According to him, this condition is somewhat "normal" on the RC's. He explained that once the adjuster was flush with the preload nut, that was the factory full soft setting. Where the other side stops is it's soft setting too. While visually different, according to him, both forks would be the same. From here, count the turns to the desired rebound setting. His description made sense, and basically he said there's nothing you can do other than either live with it, or rebuild it for something like $700 in parts. There should be no damage that I'm doing by running it this way, and that it's somewhat common on these bikes. According to him, he has an RC himself, and his exhibits the same condition. He also laughed that most of the mechanics that had worked on these when they were "new" are now out of the business. I guess that's what happens when I pick up a 15 yr old bike!

Thanks for the help so far. I'll continue to ride it and see how it feels from here.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 03:06 PM

If he has an RC and it exhibits the same condition then he is also a hack and I would refrain from taking further advice from him.

It's a 5 minute fix with the right tools and knowledge.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Interesting. Well, so far I haven't run into anyone then with the proper knowledge or tools to fix the issue.

So what exactly is the issue?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 03:48 PM

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 04:17 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Take those forks and send them to Kyle Racing. That $700 is a long way towards a super front suspension.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

What am I missing here?? I don't have the answer to this question, which is the reason for my question. I'm legitimately asking for help. Out of 6 or 7 local mechanics, no one has an exact answer, or a remedy.

Again, what did I miss or violate to get a sarcastic response to a post asking for help?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamThomas View Post
Take those forks and send them to Kyle Racing. That $700 is a long way towards a super front suspension.
Funny you mention that. I stumbled across that website yesterday while searching. That definitely seems like a great upgrade.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I can point you to a thread about rebuilding forks. You may find your answer there.

https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/60-...placement.html

fwiw, after researching all about doing it myself, I dropped the hammer and sent my fork legs to Kyle about 3 years ago. The difference for me was astonishing. There's no one in the industry in the US that has more experience and knowledge about our beloved bikes, especially anything suspension.
Once you get the forks back, set sag, go find a favorite piece of remote windy-twisty, and get your compression/rebound dialed in. I used the suspension guide from the Rogue mods page. Mod Instructions Page

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode