Sp2 running temps - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
Motleyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Sp2 running temps

Got a question and looking to see what some of you other guys are getting for normal highway temps. I know the Sp2's run hot but my 06 tends to run alot hotter than my 00 RC does.

I rarely see above 200 on the highway (60-70 mph) on the 00. On the same type of day (approx 80 deg) the temp will eventually climb up to 220 and then the fans kick in and take it back down to 210. As long as I'm running that speed with those outdoor temps the operating temperature will bounce between 210 and 220. My 00 is all stock, the 06 has Wibbly brkts and dual pusher Spal fans, 15 and 41 gearing, and Moriwaki carbon fiber rad opening fins (not sure if that could be an issue).

I guess what I'm wondering is those of you who own Sp2's run a similar type of temp when on the highway? When the evening temps cool down the 06 will run at 200 or below but the 00 always runs consistently cooler (at least by 10 degrees)

Coolant is fresh Honda factory coolant and no leaks in the system.

Looking for input from some of you other guys.

Thanks,

Nick

2000 RC51 - stock owned since new 5/2000
2006 RC51 - 2nd owner purchased 4/2015 with 1400 miles
1996 CBR900RR - mild resto/mod - done spring 2012
1990 Honda VFR - original stock owned since 1991
1975 Kawasaki S3 - restored in 2004-5 (sold 10-17)
2003 Kawasaki ZX7R - bought 10/2018
2007 Honda Interceptor 25th Anniversary purchased 7/2014
1972 Honda Mini Trail - 1st restoration in 1992, and 2016 restored to like new condition. (sold 2/18)
Motleyfan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 02:40 PM
Moderator
 
SubSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 6,456
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Here in Florida, I see my '02 SP2 hit 221 F in traffic, with the fans kicking on at 218 F (as did my ex-FZ1).
Once the fans kick in, the temps drop down to 205 F.
On the freeway, the temps drop down to 185 F or so. The lowest running temp I've seen was 175 F while cruising in the country, away from the hot city air.

It's interesting to note how sensitive the system is, as while traveling down a country road around mid-day, I've passed under a shade tree and watched the temp drop 1 F then bounce back to to prior temp.
SubSailor is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
Motleyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Here in Florida, I see my '02 SP2 hit 221 F in traffic, with the fans kicking on at 218 F (as did my ex-FZ1).
Once the fans kick in, the temps drop down to 205 F.
On the freeway, the temps drop down to 185 F or so. The lowest running temp I've seen was 175 F while cruising in the country, away from the hot city air.

It's interesting to note how sensitive the system is, as while traveling down a country road around mid-day, I've passed under a shade tree and watched the temp drop 1 F then bounce back to to prior temp.
That's pretty much how my '00 acts. The '06 runs alot hotter. In traffic or running down the interstate during the day it's well over 200 but never above 221.

I did also forget to mention that I have a dyno tune from Schnitz on a Powercommander V and the Pair is pulled along with the flapper being deactivated.

2000 RC51 - stock owned since new 5/2000
2006 RC51 - 2nd owner purchased 4/2015 with 1400 miles
1996 CBR900RR - mild resto/mod - done spring 2012
1990 Honda VFR - original stock owned since 1991
1975 Kawasaki S3 - restored in 2004-5 (sold 10-17)
2003 Kawasaki ZX7R - bought 10/2018
2007 Honda Interceptor 25th Anniversary purchased 7/2014
1972 Honda Mini Trail - 1st restoration in 1992, and 2016 restored to like new condition. (sold 2/18)
Motleyfan is online now  
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 04:17 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
RC-DEVIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ATL
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motleyfan View Post
That's pretty much how my '00 acts. The '06 runs alot hotter. In traffic or running down the interstate during the day it's well over 200 but never above 221.

I did also forget to mention that I have a dyno tune from Schnitz on a Powercommander V and the Pair is pulled along with the flapper being deactivated.
My 05 runs the exact same. constantly bounces 209-220f; SPAL fans kick on and back down to 209.

all the usual mods, engine ice etc.

some of my friend's RCs run cooler when moving (~185) some SP1 and SP2. Idk its a bit odd.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21270925_10210956175796652_1383668578212149530_n.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	119994  


2003 SP2: Everything I could find.
1991 Honda HawkGT
2008 XR650L
Dec. 2011&2013, Sep. 2015, May 2019 BOTM
RC-DEVIL is online now  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 11:28 AM
Senior Member
 
LDH®'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,212
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
The extra fan on the SP2 blocks more of the air flow at speed and reduces cooling effectiveness while in motion. If you remove one of those fans or both even you will see much cooler running temps while in motion.

The flipside of that is that extra fan helps keep the engine a lot cooler when stuck in stop & go traffic with you idiots that actually commute on an RC51 which was one of the chief complains from SP1 owners about the bike getting too hot in bumper to bumper traffic congestion.
LDH® is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
Motleyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
The extra fan on the SP2 blocks more of the air flow at speed and reduces cooling effectiveness while in motion. If you remove one of those fans or both even you will see much cooler running temps while in motion.

The flipside of that is that extra fan helps keep the engine a lot cooler when stuck in stop & go traffic with you idiots that actually commute on an RC51 which was one of the chief complains from SP1 owners about the bike getting too hot in bumper to bumper traffic congestion.
Sounds like I'm kind of stuck with it running as hot as it does. Don't want to take the fans off because I do get stuck in traffic during in town riding even though I don't commute on the bike.

2000 RC51 - stock owned since new 5/2000
2006 RC51 - 2nd owner purchased 4/2015 with 1400 miles
1996 CBR900RR - mild resto/mod - done spring 2012
1990 Honda VFR - original stock owned since 1991
1975 Kawasaki S3 - restored in 2004-5 (sold 10-17)
2003 Kawasaki ZX7R - bought 10/2018
2007 Honda Interceptor 25th Anniversary purchased 7/2014
1972 Honda Mini Trail - 1st restoration in 1992, and 2016 restored to like new condition. (sold 2/18)
Motleyfan is online now  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 04:43 PM
Senior Member
 
LDH®'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,212
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Even in track only trim I kept my Dussault undertail installed on the SP1 and I would occasionally slap a license plate on it, connect the brake wires and ride it to the local Honda shop to pick up parts and lean it against the wall. It does not take much traffic at all to get those temps up when you don't have any fans installed. I mean just sitting at a normal stoplight for a minute or less in humid Southern heat will have you staring at that temp gauge and praying whether you are a believer or not...
Motleyfan likes this.
LDH® is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 01:09 PM
Senior Member
 
92VFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I'm a chickenshit so I when I installed the Spal fans I also installed an override switch beside the cluster so that I can turn the fans on manually. When I am in traffic and see the temps creeping over 200, I hit the switch and the fans keep the temps out of danger. Once I am back on the road, I turn off the switch and the temp sensor takes over again.
92VFR is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 01:16 PM
Senior Member
 
LDH®'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,212
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92VFR View Post
I'm a chickenshit so I when I installed the Spal fans I also installed an override switch beside the cluster so that I can turn the fans on manually. When I am in traffic and see the temps creeping over 200, I hit the switch and the fans keep the temps out of danger. Once I am back on the road, I turn off the switch and the temp sensor takes over again.
If you were going to be proactive like that anyway by monitoring the temps you would have had the exact same results with the OEM fans as long as you are willing to flip the switch before the engine gets too hot...
LDH® is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 01:23 PM
Senior Member
 
92VFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
The factory fans collectively weigh 100 lbs (only slight exaggeration) and flow against the normal air flow path. The Spal pushers match the normal air flow path and move more air. They bring the temps down really quick and make me feel that they are not fighting the flow of air through the fairing.
JCool likes this.
92VFR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome