Replacement CDI controller (UK) - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Replacement CDI controller (UK)

Hi
To cut a long story short, my Stator/Alternator packed up last October and I had to replace it and the Rectifier. I'm in the UK and sourced a new rectifier from MTP Racing in Germany, and a new stator from RAW Power Motorcycles in the UK. Bike was running fine up until 6 weeks ago and I have just concluded the CDI control box is faulty; probably a knock-on effect from the Alternator episode. David Silver Spares will source me a genuine Honda part for 450 + VAT = 540. There's one OEM item on eBay for 250 and I have emailed the seller to find out about it. I can't find any other OEM or refurbished, or parts off scrap bikes. Has anyone in the UK/EU had to replace their CDI box, and if so, where did you find a replacement?

I saw an article on how to repair the box, but I'd rather buy a new one and then have a go at fixing the broken one, so best case I end up with a a spare. I do a lot of miles/touring and want the security & reassurance of a new unit.

Thanks for any input.
Simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
I have two, don't need them with Motec ECU, pm me if interested
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Are the cdi units the same for sp1 and 2? any body know?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Just to clarify, here is the marking on my SP2 CDI unit (1.0 181), and that on what I think is an SP1 unit (1.2 021).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 18.16.31.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	120546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 18.17.55.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	120554  

(UK-spec. SP2, 2002 owned from new, 45k miles)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 11:29 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I have a new SP2 CDI I bought to carry as a spare and never used (Since I didn't want to be left stranded).

I figured out why my previous 3 CDI's had kept blowing (PO had modified the loom, but used crimp connectors instead of soldering & shrink wrapping the wires, which cured my problem once I did the job properly.

300 posted from Japan if you want it.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 11:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansp1 View Post
Are the cdi units the same for sp1 and 2? any body know?
They're different, unfortunately.
dansp1 likes this.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help so far. I am still mystified as to how you know the SP1 and SP2 units are different, and whether all SP2 year/region units are the same. Again, searching the web & eBay, there are two advertised in the US; an 02 and an 03 SP2, but they have different numbers after the "MCF CI734". One has 2.9 121, the other 2.1 282 (see images below). Both different to mine and the SP1 unit. Apart from these numbers, all SP1 and SP2 units look physically identical; there are no other part numbers or identifiers, so how would you tell an SP1 and SP2 unit apart? And what are these additional numbers; are they just a date/issue code? Would any SP2 unit work in my bike (different year/region)? Sorry to drag this out but until I understand this a bit more, I'm reluctant to buy any unit for now.

Regards
Simon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	US 03 SP2 CDI eBay.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	120634   Click image for larger version

Name:	US 02 SP2 CDI eBay.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	120642  

(UK-spec. SP2, 2002 owned from new, 45k miles)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Can't speak for the Euro/UK models bur US models are the same, part #30450-MCF-003. I suppose it's possible Euro models are different but I believe this is a power supply and therefore likely the same worldwide. I'm ready to be educated if this is not true. The MCF is Hondas model code for the RVT1000R or RC51. The other numbers are likely just a code the manufacturer use for his purposes and probably has no significance to the year model. If your Honda dealers don't have the parts lookup online perhaps you can look up on Partzilla or one of the other online retailers. I use my local dealers web site to confirm part numbers, reference fastener sizes etc. all the time. Maybe Stig was referring to the ECU units which definitely don't interchange. Anyway good luck, hope you can find something less than the quote you recieved.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Different plugs between SP1 & SP2. The ECU's are different too. All SP1 CDI's are same and all SP2 CDI's are same, but not interchangeable. HTH

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

I spoke to David Silver Spares and my local Honda dealer, and they both confirmed that:
1. the part number for the CDI Converter Unit is 30450-MCF003
2. This part no. is listed for all SP1 and SP2 year models
3. The markings on the unit probably have nothing to do with the part no. itself

Thus I conclude that the same part is common to SP1 and SP2 models; there is no difference whatsoever and any markings on the units are a red herring in this respect. The only way to prove this is for someone who has both SPs to swap CDIs between their bikes and start them up. Do those of you that have said the units are different have any concrete evidence to dispute the above conclusion?

Thanks
Simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode