Many electrical problems start with corrosion of electrical contacts, from rain or humidity.
This can especially be true with high current contacts, such as alternator, starter relay, battery posts, etc.
When I had to replace my main wiring harnesses due to prior owner bastardization, one thing I noticed were a plethora of "green" contacts from corrosion.
Whenever a contact becomes corroded, it creates a resistive element across the contacts.
For low power components, it decreases the current, which might affect operation.
For high power components (alternator, starter relay, starter motor, etc.), the added resistance creates heat, which may cause overheated contacts or melting. For battery posts or main ground lead, it can cause charging issues.
I bought a tube of dielectric grease at an auto parts store (one 5 oz. tube lasts forever) and put a dab into every electrical connector on the bike. Including all connectors, battery posts, ground leads, etc.
If it flows electrons, it got dosed. Since then, I have had zero electrical issues.
It is dirt cheap insurance.
Last edited by SubSailor; 10-17-2017 at 08:44 PM.