Headlight/headlight assemblies - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Headlight/headlight assemblies

So guys, here is my problem...
I recently picked up my bike in June and after a long debate with myself, I have decided to keep it and bring it up to "safety specifications" in order to plate it and ride it on the road. Now my problem, is that it only has one headlight assembly with an hid kit installed. The right headlight assembly (see pic for detail)
What this means, is because it is an h7 bulb, and single filament, my high beam does not work, as there are only 2 wires running to the h4 plug, and are connected with spade connectors (thought I had a pic, but don't... will take one tomorrow hopefully to help)
So because of this, when I toggle the high beam switch, nothing happens (my understanding is that on stock configuration, the switch would activate the left headlight/high beam light on left side)
So, a couple questions for those of you that have a stock setup.. or know how it is wired.
Is it a harness that comes off that h4 plug that splits and goes to left/right headlight bulbs? Basically an h4 plug that splits into 2 h7 plugs?
Is there someway that I can turn my one currently functioning headlight and headlight assembly, into a dual bulb with capability to switch between high and low beams? If so... how? Haha.
I suspect this would be my cheapest and easiest solution to fix my current problem (if possible). In order to return it to stock configuration, it would require a new front fairing, and a left headlight assembly plus tracking down the wiring harness I suspect I would need to complete the connections (or making my own, which I hope to avoid)
Any guidance, tips, suggestions, experience etc... is greatly appreciated. With winter coming I have time to figure this out prior to the spring so I can get on and go asap!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170706_142126_1508823053056.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	121138   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170706_142651_1508823107605.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	121146   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170925_151142_1508823163368.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	121154  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I suck at wiring and went thru pain to get mine to work as I don't have a stock set up. But I will chime in on your tie down system as a precaution to your front rotors. Those 2x4 are too close to the brake rotors and when strapped like that after a long trip it might be rubbing and cause your rotors to do something you don't want em to
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If I understand correctly your bike has one H4 bulb, correct?

The easiest way to get high and low would be to mount a dual element bulb to pass the safety. I will look into bulb types to see if there is a similar base dual bulb.

Fair warning though; if any of the light lenses, t/s front and rear, brake, and headlight included do NOT say DOT they will not pass a Manitoba safety. So unless you know someone who will let that slide, might be a waste of time. Just like a belt made of old watches!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Currently, it has one h7 HID bulb, wired with two spade connectors to the h4 plug. (See picture) my question is, what does the original adapter look like/where could I get one (to put it back to stock configuration)
OR
Is there a way I could do an adapter plate/rig or some sort... to get a dual filament bulb (h4 high/low bulb) to fit in the stock light assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170928_140133_1508952099154.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	121282  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Extremely familiar with the Manitoba safeties... unfortunately...
To my knowledge (though I will have to check..) the front headlight (assembly) is dot/sae and the rear integrated light is magically dot/sae (feel like I hit the lottery with that haha)
The turn signals are not... but they are in need of replacing anyways.. as I have never seen a flush mount that is rated for Manitoba safety... (though my knowledge is limited so that isn't saying much haha)
I want to put integrated turn signal mirrors on... but have not been able to find any that are dot/sae rated. The hunt continues for them.. as I am certain they exist.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
if you want turn signal mirrors look at a set of oem 1000rr mirrors. you may need to get custom mounts to fit them, but they'll be DOT.

if you wanted to, you could fit an h4 bulb into the stock housing, then run the high beam positive into the h4 headlight connector and plug it in (the rc51 has h4 housings, and h7 bulbs)

the main issue with that solution is that the actual light housings are different between low and high beam. so if you are only using the high beam housing, your low beam will be incorrect, and if you're only using the low beam housing, the high beam will be incorrect.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Wibbly... dude. Thank you so much for the reply. You basically hit everything I have been wondering. I will be looking for the mirrors tonight haha... hopefully can get a good price on em.
So if I understand correctly... h4 bulbs will fit in the headlight assembly? If so, that is awesome. I get that the beam may not be aimed properly because of the fact it is a low beam assembly (from my understanding.. low is the right headlight.. high is the left? In stock configuration) but at least (I hope) it should pass safety for being able to activate. Getting an h4 bulb and ballast (for hid) will be a fraction of the price of a new upper cowl and extra headlight assembly. So this is great news!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

I have noticed that there are different variants of h4 bulbs while shopping... h4-2... h4-3... is this to do with the prongs? Would the one I need be an h4-3? I will do some more research as well.. but if someone has a quick answer that would be great too! ?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Look at this on eBay
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F232256239036
Something like this is what you were talking about for the mirrors eh wibbly?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
sure, but those are chinese replica garbage... so if you need DOT those certainly aren't them.

an h4 bulb will be slightly different than an h7. you'll probably have to trim the plate to make it fit properly in the housing, but it will fit yes.

i'd take your HID and just toss it. those things have no business being in a reflector housing. just get a normal h4 bulb and plug it into the light, then wire the hot from your high beam into the low beam socket. done and done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode