2Likes
  • 1 Post By rccbrz
  • 1 Post By Ripahh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
RC 51 Running Problems

Hi, I have some running problems on my 2000 SP1. I bought the bike which was an ex track bike a bit rough but the engine ran well, I have since rebuilt it and it looks as it should however I cant get it to run on the rear cylinder, fires and runs on the front cylinder. I have re checked the valve timing which is spot on, the plug has a good spark and appears to be wet (Fuel). The original wiring loom was butchered so I have replaced it with a HRC basic race loom.

The FI had faults so these were cleared but now the light is on constant and when the service link is shorted it flashes continually which doesn't relate to a fault code.

the rev counter doesn't work but does have full scale deflection when the ignition is turned on

I'm not sure what direction to go ECM/Igniter box or wiring loom fault/incompatible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I and many others have had the same issue-its the CDI box gone bad..thats the small silver box.....new 450.00 at motosports.com....you can try ebay for a used one but they are far and few between..I have heard stories of the second one going out within 75 km so, could be a wiring issue as well.

GL!
Aswood likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, is there any checks that can made on the CDI unit to confirm itís failed.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
That I can't tell you...all I know is that my bike was being dynoed, ran fine, then just quit running on the REAR cylinder like yours....If you have checked coils, plugs, wires and they are all good, the next thing inline should be the CDI.....

Just my 2 cents.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Mine had an issue a couple years ago with a poor connection to the low voltage side of the front cylinder coil that caused a miss under load. The harnesses are old now and poor connections becoming common. If your RPM signal isnt working it could be related to coil wiring also but i'm not sure where the RPM signal comes from.

Im not looking forward for my CDI unit to fail but I've seen a cheap fix for it.
Aswood likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Hi, I think a low battery killed the CDI unit so I'm going to try the repair that somebody posted on here before buying a CDI unit, I'm not to sure where the rev counter takes it feed from as the wiring diagrams don't go into this detail I think its the CDI via the ECU. Maybe somebody could put me right on that..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode