Electrical Problem SP1 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Electrical Problem SP1

Just purchased a 2001 SP1 (15000 miles) and all checked out on the test ride. Owner has had the bike since 2011 and rides less than 1000 miles per year. Only thing suspicious was bike cut off while idling and the seller stated it was very low on gas. We added gas and it fired right up and rode as expected with no noticeable issues.
On ride home after purchasing, bike cut off while slowing down. Pulled to side of road and turned key off and then restarted normally. Bike runs fine under power and has no noticeable issues until it just "dies" electrically. It actually did this three more times in a 20 minute period on the ride home. On one of those occasions it acted like it would not restart. Turned key off and then back on and then fired back up again. No fuel injector (MIL) codes have been noticed. I checked the kickstand switch and also made sure battery connections were tight. Any thoughts of where to start would be appreciated. I also noticed on the ride home that operating temperature would approach 205 degrees at times and wondering if this is normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 01:18 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
I seem to remember Wibbly once telling me the SP-1 ECUs fail on an internal fuel relay or something. I have 2000 that has a hot wire directly feeding the fuel pump to end run this failure mode...not sure that's what this is but just offering it up...
robertj1979 likes this.

2004 BMW R1150SR Project Touring Bike (in-work)
2005 Honda RC-51 SP-2 - future track tool
2014 Ducati HyperProject (Hyperstrada)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for response. I am taking it to a dealer friend of mine. It needs sprockets and chain for sure. Hoping it is something simple and fear the previous owner neglected it. Wondering too if it could be a tank vent problem or other fuel issue? I read last night on this forum someone with a similar problem years ago it was suggested to switch the high beam relay with the low fuel cutoff relay and see if that solves the problem. Very new to these bikes and hope I don't end up missing my CBR929...Of course the seller said it runs perfectly....go figure. Hope parts for these bikes are going to still be available if needed? I perhaps just made it mad with my poor riding skills since I have not been on a sport bike in several year and fear it is in the garage laughing at me.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 04:32 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1979 View Post
Thanks for response. I am taking it to a dealer friend of mine. It needs sprockets and chain for sure. Hoping it is something simple and fear the previous owner neglected it. Wondering too if it could be a tank vent problem or other fuel issue? I read last night on this forum someone with a similar problem years ago it was suggested to switch the high beam relay with the low fuel cutoff relay and see if that solves the problem. Very new to these bikes and hope I don't end up missing my CBR929...Of course the seller said it runs perfectly....go figure. Hope parts for these bikes are going to still be available if needed? I perhaps just made it mad with my poor riding skills since I have not been on a sport bike in several year and fear it is in the garage laughing at me.
It sounds like it does run well, once the wiring issues are resolved.

Buy a tube of dielectric grease, some cotton swabs, and a rag and then check every electrical connection on the bike. You will be happy you spent time doing this later on.

Check the frame and battery connections too.

GL
robertj1979 likes this.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I've got an '04 , mine was dying intermittently , lights and all. After a couple of times I realized touching the key without even turning it made the lights come back on and it would start right up. I sprayed contact cleaner in the keyhole , let it dry over night and sprayed it again with LPS. It's been fine since.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for suggestions. I will try that if the dealer I left it with fails to come up with a solution. I drove it from my house to the dealership on the interstate about 20 minutes away in heavy rain and it did not shut down and ran as it should. Dealer said that unless it fails for them will be difficult to find the problem. Dealer did observe that the radiator fan did not seem to be coming on and wonder if that could somehow be realated? Hope it doesnt turn out to be a money pit and will update once I get it back from the dealer. I thought I was getting a pretty good price on it ($3300) when I purchases but now not so sure.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had a exactly the same problem as you, bike would run fine under load but when coming to a stop it would cut out. Does it just cut out or does it bog down?. I'm not saying this is your problem but its not a hard check, check for fault codes and see if you get any (Specifically sensors around the throttle body and airbox). i did mine and found my TPS was at fault. bit of a ball ache trying to find a decent second had set of bodies as you cant swap over the TPS unless you wanna send it off to honda to get it calibrated. but that solved all my problems and she now runs like a dream.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

The dealer phoned me and said they found that the bank angle sensor had been installed incorrectly with a "zip tie" and the way it was attached would prevent a wheelie or stoppie. Don't know why anyone would do that but he corrected it. Said also that he switched the headlight relay with the fuel cut off relay and road tested it without a problem but he is still not sure that was the issue. Good idea on the TPS and can't really remember if every time it has shut down has been on "decel" or not but definitely something to consider. Thanks for all suggestions and replies and will keep you posted when I know something further. Chain and sprockets are totally gone and getting bike back next Wednesday I hope.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

I picked up the bike today with new chain and sprockets. Went two teeth larger on the back that seems to help low end performance. I must say I like the torque of this bike much better than my 929 that I sold several years ago and the sound with the M4 exhaust is amazing..
Dealer stated that the problem with the bike cutting off was most likely the bank angle sensor that was installed incorrectly and not at the right angle. He said it looked like any incline going down a hill could cause the bike to shut down. He also swapped relays and have not had a problem with it shutting down after riding about 30 minutes today. The bad news was that they checked the left radiator fan and discovered that apparently the bike had suffered some damage that bent the radiator and was keeping the fan from turning. Looks like my next project will be to find another radiator and hope the fan motor is not destroyed. The dealer said he was able to locate several aftermarket new radiators for this bike but is afraid they may not be an exact fit and possibly too large to fit properly behind the side panel. Any thoughts on that repair would be appreciated. The electrical wiring on this bike is somewhat of a "mess" however as the previous owner installed LED brake lights and eliminated the stock front turn signals and rear fender etc. Thanks to all who have replied with suggestions and ideas and looking forward to actually getting to ride this beast...

Last edited by robertj1979; 05-31-2018 at 08:31 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

After thinking all was repaired, went for a ride yesterday and it shut down. I hit the engine shutoff switch to off after it shut down and then back to on and it ran normally again... I noticed a flashing MIL light and got home and checked the code for 8 blinks which turns out to be throttle position sensor as someone else suggested. I guess I will be pulling the tank off unless I can access the connection by just raising it? Also not really sure exactly what the sensor looks like so any suggestions appreciated..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode