Height temp problems - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
So I just bought my first rc51 and it had a radiator leak unfortunately the radiator was cracked so I replaced it with a race radiator and added ice coolant turn on the bike and temperature rise up to 170 degrees Fahrenheit I took it for a spin temperature keep rising to 220 I rode the bike like half block before I turn back home and just turn it off there was no leaking at all but bike did felt kinda of loosing power please help me fix the problem if anyone has any tips please comment I would reall appreciate the feed back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 01:43 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
My fans seem to kick on around 215 to 220. have yet to see the temp above 220, to 225. It's getting hot out though. I noticed on a short ride after dinner last week, fans were running quite a bit, doing their job. Just riding in some shaded area for a minute will lower the temps 5 or 10 degrees. Then when back in the sunny areas, it's right back to 215 to 220. I live in a rural area. In town, where there is nothing but concrete and asphalt, with no trees hardly, it's 10 to 15 degrees warmer, just due to the pavement absorbing all the suns heat all day. Soon as I head home, and hit the hills with plenty of greenscape, you can literally feel the temp drop dramatically outside. Drive by a large municipal golf course sometime, you'll feel the same drop in temps from all the grassy area, plus if they have sprinklers going, even more. Watched a you tube video of a guy doing a track day on his RC51. Pretty sure I saw 235 on his temp gauge most of the time, from the hard riding, hot track. When I get home from a ride this time of year, I usually just put it in the garage on the stands, and turn on the box fan, to give her a nice cool down. My sloped driveway has limited flat parking right in front of the garage, and I don't like my bike sitting in the direct sun for any length of time. Still got to get Wibbly's fan switch installed.

2002 SP2
2005 750 Katana
2000 KX-500
1984 VT500 Ascot
1977 RD-400

Nice Old Harley you got there! Mind if I kick it over?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 03:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I'll say this, I've gotten tremendous results using Redline Water Wetter. IIRC about 10 degrees. Combine that with a thorough reverse flush, don't run it with a full 50/50 ratio of coolant to water unless you're at risk for freezing. I think 80/20 water to coolant with water wetter is okay. Do NOT try Evans waterless coolant - I can't believe I didn't trust my instinct about cooling efficiency of water vs anything else.
Russ*Collins51 and Red Flash like this.

Last edited by DaveJB; 07-07-2018 at 02:42 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
The Evan's will cook a motor without ever boiling over , it's no help whatsoever in cooling . I run Redline Supercool premix , it gave me a several degree drop over Engine Ice. I'm in the south east and mine will run at 172 IF I can stay above 45 MPH.The fans on my SP2 come on at 220 and off at 210. While not moving the temp will stay in between that , BUT if the fans are on and you're going less than about 30 , the temp can climb a bit higher due to the bikes movement and the reverse flow fans fighting the air coming from the forward movement. Hence the SPAL pusher fan mod.
Russ*Collins51 likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 12:10 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Thanks for the tip(s) on the Evans waterless coolant. I saw it on Amazon at some point, and was actually considering trying it out.

2002 SP2
2005 750 Katana
2000 KX-500
1984 VT500 Ascot
1977 RD-400

Nice Old Harley you got there! Mind if I kick it over?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
water wetter is meant to be mixed in a very small ratio. read the bottle.

don't run 50:50 with water wetter, or 80:20, or any ratio you invented yourself. it's designed to be mixed just a few mL per liter.

the 51 is always going to run pretty hot, the best thing you can do for it is avoid traffic jams.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Redline Supercool is their premixed coolant containing Water Wetter and deionized water.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
water wetter is meant to be mixed in a very small ratio. read the bottle.

don't run 50:50 with water wetter, or 80:20, or any ratio you invented yourself. it's designed to be mixed just a few mL per liter.

the 51 is always going to run pretty hot, the best thing you can do for it is avoid traffic jams.
Probably should be correct when you chastise someone else for not reading the bottle? See attached photo.

So, I chose 80/20 just to leave a little margin over their 15% minimum antifreeze.

They claim 20 degrees and I might not disagree - I got great results. Though IIRC that's comparing probably 85/15 ratio of water to coolant with water wetter. That higher ratio of water will provide better cooling even without water wetter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water wetter.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	128247  
Red Flash likes this.

Last edited by DaveJB; 07-07-2018 at 02:44 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
It says to use 1 ounce per quart

I misread as you recommending 80/20 water/water wetter

There was a guy on another group running 50/50 water and water wetter lol

Last edited by Wibbly; 07-07-2018 at 03:15 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 03:52 PM

I edited my prior post to be more clear about which ratio I was talking... about. Indeed, use the amount of WW that Redline suggests but they give you the option on the coolant to water ratio. We've wasted quite a few posts on this. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
It says to use 1 ounce per quart

I misread as you recommending 80/20 water/water wetter

There was a guy on another group running 50/50 water and water wetter lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode