Too much back pressure - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Too much back pressure

I'll start at the beginning. I bought the bike about nine months ago with less than 7k on the clock. The seller had it sitting for a few years with no use, so it didn't start. He told me he had the bike on the track and the muffler flew off the pipe because of too much back pressure. It's the Jardine 2 into 1 system with a carbon fiber pipe. Had no batting in the pipe. Had the power commander on it, don't know which setting it was running.

When I got the bike home, I took out the power commander, charged the battery and put new rivets in newly drilled holes in the muffler and new batting. Bike started right up.

Rode it this way probably a few times a month every month since, probably a total of 20 rides since I got it. Bike ran fine, did not make any funny noises, didn't seem to run rich or lean, just fine.

Last week, I took it out on a short ride when noticed it ran very different at a stop light. It was much louder and revved funny. When I got to my destination, I saw that the new rivets came completely out, they cut the carbon fiber pipe clean to come out. Luckily, the pipe did not fly out.

Does anyone here have the 2-1 Jardine system? How are you running it? Any good advice will be greatly appreciated.

I was going to download the specific mapping from dynojet, but they do not have mapping for the jardine systems. They do have one for the 2-1 Erion Racing mapping. Should I try it?

Again, please reply if you can help with good info, or with good experience running this pipe and please stay on topic. TIA

2003 Honda RC51
2001 Honda SuperHawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
the jardine carbon cans are hot garbage. you can see how burned and ruined your sleeve is on this pipe. the exhaust pressure on a big v-twin is very high, and the rc51 is very hard on carbon cans (with duals!), a single gets a complete shit kicking.

throw it in the garbage and get a titanium can. the jardine 2-1 header outlet is 57mm. you may have trouble finding a can in that size. but 60mm is very common. you can fit a titanium 60mm canister with a simple 60-57mm bushing.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I've had my dual carbon Jardine's for almost 15 years and they've been fine. The burn mark on that can is from running it with blown packing. The heat from the exhaust burns away the resin and there's nothing to support the carbon fibers any more. I've watched it happen in front on me on a dyno.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
the jardine carbon cans are hot garbage. you can see how burned and ruined your sleeve is on this pipe. the exhaust pressure on a big v-twin is very high, and the rc51 is very hard on carbon cans (with duals!), a single gets a complete shit kicking.
throw it in the garbage and get a titanium can. the jardine 2-1 header outlet is 57mm. you may have trouble finding a can in that size. but 60mm is very common. you can fit a titanium 60mm canister with a simple 60-57mm bushing.
Thanks for the advice. Will consider it if no other better solutions come from other members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe XR View Post
I've had my dual carbon Jardine's for almost 15 years and they've been fine. The burn mark on that can is from running it with blown packing. The heat from the exhaust burns away the resin and there's nothing to support the carbon fibers any more. I've watched it happen in front on me on a dyno.
The burn mark is a hanging helmets outer plastic trim melting, nothing more. The absence of packing did not change the carbon fiber visibly. Comparing a single system to a dual is like comparing apples and oranges, not a direct or fair comparison and is not helpful at all to my situation.

2003 Honda RC51
2001 Honda SuperHawk
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 09:25 PM

It's NOT a back pressure issue.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's NOT a back pressure issue.
Then what is it? Vibration?

2003 Honda RC51
2001 Honda SuperHawk

Last edited by bajaSeven; 12-16-2018 at 09:29 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 09:31 PM

For one thing , you've got to pack the muffler , but first I'd cut the carbon sleeve off behind the holes and shorten the core an equal amount.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
For one thing , you've got to pack the muffler , but first I'd cut the carbon sleeve off behind the holes and shorten the core an equal amount.
Actually, first, you should read my first post more closely. I did repack the exhaust with new batting. But what is it if not back pressure? You're still not answering the question. The cutting is something I already planned on doing, but I don't want to rush to do it if the result will be the same. Rather wait and hear about a solution from someone who had the same/similar problem.

2003 Honda RC51
2001 Honda SuperHawk
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 09:58 PM

I saw no packing in your picture , that's why I mentioned it. The packing should be full length and tight , or it won't last.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
How do you get back pressure at the inlet on a straight through system?
The sleeve blew off because of bad/burnt packing and the well known fact that carbon fibre sleeves just don't work well on these bikes. I don't have 2/1 but I've had a carbon can burn out exactly like yours did. Nothing to do with any perceived back pressure.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode