Bench Test SP1 Fan - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Bench Test SP1 Fan

My radiator fan is dead so I ordered a used one that was removed and supposedly in working order. I am trying to test it using a battery before I put it on the bike and can not seem to get it to work. I would like to confirm it is working properly before installing it on the bike. I had thought it should be as simple as connecting the ground wire from the connector to negative on a known good battery and jumping the third wire to the positive. The fan actually has three wires coming off of it, two running to a connector and a third wire that is separate (+)? Am I correct in assuming the fan should come on when connecting the third wire to the positive side of a known good battery and the ground from the connector to the negative side of the battery? Tried that and fan does not come on so wondering if the fan motor is bad?

Last edited by robertj1979; 02-25-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Looks like I just answered my own question in case anyone else wants to do this with the fan off the bike. The black connector needs a jumper wire connecting the two leads. The ground cable directly to the battery ground. The third wire which I am assuming is the thermostat wire directly to positive. Fan now runs and motor checks out good. Was afraid I paid $100 for a bad fan. Hard to believe that a new fan motor (if you can find it) is $250.
Joe XR likes this.

Last edited by robertj1979; 02-25-2019 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Addition.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
you should have asked someone on here to sell you a fan. there are literally dozens of people who have replaced theirs with upgraded units.
robertj1979 likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Yes good point. I was trying to get one quick and found one on Ebay so decided to "jump on it" while I had the time to deal with it. Felt fortunate it worked as it should because with used parts on Ebay sometimes you are taking a chance. Was afraid also being an
SP1 might have been more challenging as it seems more SP2 stuff out there these days and the SP1 fan is different.

I am planning to do the manual switch mod at the same time but am not that mechanically/electrically inclined so this is probably a stupid question. I have looked at the post showing the wiring diagram and am apparently missing something that I don't fully understand? It would appear that by splicing the positive wire of the switch into the temperature sensor wire that the switch would not make the fan come on unless the temperature sensor is already above the "tripping point"? It was a post by "Jondog9" back in 2016 but was unsuccessful copying the diagram here. Also curious if others think this is really worth doing given it seems that the fan does not do much good while the bike is moving anyway and turning it on will put more wear and tear on the fan motor?

Last edited by robertj1979; 02-26-2019 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Addition
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:46 AM

The temp switch switches the negative. If you want a manual fan switch you connect the temp switch to ground.

Or I'll build you one for 40 bucks. Plug and play
robertj1979 likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
You can just wire your manual switch parallel to the temp sensor.
robertj1979 likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe XR View Post
You can just wire your manual switch parallel to the temp sensor.
that is literally exactly what i just said.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
that is literally exactly what i just said.
You and I know that , I don't believe most readers do. I just figured it was less confusing.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/60...le-switch.html

Ok. Thanks guys. This is the wiring diagram I was referring to. Hope the link I posted above works. Is this what you mean by wiring "parallel to the sensor" or am I still confused? If I am going to install a manual fan switch I was still wanting the temperature sensor to turn the fan on even if the switch is in the off position if that is possible? Sorry for being electrically illiterate. Apparently in that post there was a guy who tried to do this and it did not seem to work correctly so just making sure the information in that original post was accurate.

Last edited by robertj1979; 02-26-2019 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Additional
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:54 PM

That's what you want.
robertj1979 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode