Nothing happens on start - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nothing happens on start

Hi All

I just bought my RC51Sp1 and i drove it around and home of course. I lifted the seat and back section of bike to see what lurks. The bike definitely needs some lovin and I'm full of love so...
BUT as i was scratching around the battery to see why the indicators lights aren't working anymore i shorted out something i guess as i heard a spark.

Anyway i finally resoldered some wires to make it look better and to hopefully a proper job now the bike switches on (still no indicator lights at all) and the fuel pump primes as it should but when i hit ignition nothing. No solenoid sound or swinging just nothing happens. The lights dim as they should but nothing.

I've check the two fuses i could find. One was attached to the battery and other one i guess the solenoid or such. As ive said the bike was riding fine but when i picked her up from previous owner nothing came on(no dashboard nothing), he was of course surprised. We tightened the positive and negative on the battery terminals and it came on again. But now.. no start

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I've sent you a PM with a link to the service manual. I'd start with the main fuse box. It's located behind the left side fairing. Then follow the troubleshooting info in the ignition section.
jondog9 likes this.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
if your headlight works there is power to the start button.

the bike is indicating neutral correct??

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Thx Johnny34 was about to ask where the damn fuse box was situated as i could not find it.

Wibbly yes neutral comes on, funny thing is when i pull in the clutch it goes off but bike is still in neutral as it moves freely. So basically... the Fi light comes on as it should, the fuel pump primes, neutral light is on. Main lights and rear light/brake lights working.

Indicator lights do not work and nothing happens when trying to start. No sounds nothing. Its strange as the bike was working fine just that incident where no power to anything but we fixed it by tightening the positive/negative on battery and then the indicator lights did not work.

Note the indicators are those naff stupid flush mounted sh1t i dont like (like my bikes original) and rear lights/indicators is a all in one unit so aftermarket... ugh. Not sure if that is a culprit.

Indicators not working i can only think without using a multimeter to see if there's any current its down to the flasher unit? Can i use any generic type of flasher unit ?

For bike not starting maybe solenoids blown? The fuse that is on the solenoid circtuit what Amp should it be? There's a 30A in at the moment and not blown

Last edited by Wurnman; 08-01-2019 at 03:30 AM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:59 AM

is this a US model bike? or EU?

the fuse in the starter relay is the main fuse for the bike, it has nothing to do with the starter. it's a 30 amp.

the clutch switch shouldn't affect the neutral light.

will it start if you put the kickstand up and pull the clutch?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

I live in South Africa so chances are that it's a UK model.

Here's what i did last night. I had the key in ignition but bike in off position. I then shorted out the starter/relay switch(solenoid) Positive/Negative connectors(with the 30A fuse connected to it) on the left side of bike rear frame and it gave a start sound as if it wants to start. I then switched the bike on and did same thing. Both instances i pulled in the clutch to make sure its not in gear.
I left the bike stand out. I have however tried to start the bike normal way with starter switch and pulled clutch in and side stand in up position, still nothing.

SO basically it seems to be either the starter switch or wiring leading to the solenoid... At least its not the starter or starter/relay switch (solenoid) or solenoid fuse etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
is this a US model bike? or EU?

the fuse in the starter relay is the main fuse for the bike, it has nothing to do with the starter. it's a 30 amp.

the clutch switch shouldn't affect the neutral light.

will it start if you put the kickstand up and pull the clutch?

Last edited by Wurnman; 08-01-2019 at 03:31 AM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

IF i may ask what is this gray cover looking thing? where is the connected tube going? I have similar but doesnt have the cover over it and no tubing...

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:03 PM

if your headlights go out when you push the start button, then i don't think it's a uk bike, as theirs don't do that.

the feed to the start button is from the headlight circuit on the US bikes, on the EU bikes it's fed from the IGN circuit (the same circuit that feeds the kill switch). if the bike is indeed a euro bike, and the kill switch works (ie the pump primes, FI lamp comes on for a few seconds), then there should be power to the start button. if the bikee is a US bike and the headlights work, then there is also power to the start button.

what i'd suggest is a simple test.

find the plug for the kill switch housing. using a wire or paperclip, short between the white/black wire and yellow/red wire on the harness side of the connector. that should operate the starter motor. if it doesn't then the problem lies elsewhere.

edit: i see you never checked any of the fuses in the fuse box. only the FI fuse and the main fuse. it's pretty certain that you blew a fuse in the fusebox (under the left side plastic by the coolant bottle)

check there and your problem is probably obvious.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Take the starter button apart and see if the contacts are clean.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Ok...

Then it's US version as the headlights dim/go out when trying to swing/start it. Similar to my Fireblade I have.
I've checked the fuse box and all fuses are in perfect order. Actually every fuse i could find on the bike seems to be in perfect order.

Ill try the trick you suggested regarding shorting the starter switch and see what goes. Also what worries me is why are the indicator lights not working? Ive shorted it on the plug that plugs into the flasher unit. Nothing, ive also tested it with a multimeter and nothing.

But one thing at a time. Alteast so far everything else works just no start from the button and no indicators.
I think somewhere there is a short or plug that came loose or something as things were working when i tested the bike.

Ill report back in a few days as i can only work on it the bike this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
if your headlights go out when you push the start button, then i don't think it's a uk bike, as theirs don't do that.

the feed to the start button is from the headlight circuit on the US bikes, on the EU bikes it's fed from the IGN circuit (the same circuit that feeds the kill switch). if the bike is indeed a euro bike, and the kill switch works (ie the pump primes, FI lamp comes on for a few seconds), then there should be power to the start button. if the bikee is a US bike and the headlights work, then there is also power to the start button.

what i'd suggest is a simple test.

find the plug for the kill switch housing. using a wire or paperclip, short between the white/black wire and yellow/red wire on the harness side of the connector. that should operate the starter motor. if it doesn't then the problem lies elsewhere.

edit: i see you never checked any of the fuses in the fuse box. only the FI fuse and the main fuse. it's pretty certain that you blew a fuse in the fusebox (under the left side plastic by the coolant bottle)

check there and your problem is probably obvious.

Last edited by Wurnman; 08-01-2019 at 03:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode