Loss of Power? One Cylinder? Restart and Fine.. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Loss of Power? One Cylinder? Restart and Fine..

Hello all , just joined to get your help. I just picked up a 2000 RC with 15,000 miles on it. I rode it home on a hot day 150 miles 3 hours .. with no issues what so ever. Owner said he didn't have time to ride it.. Don't know if I believe that or it was giving him headaches.. There are a few blinker issues and dash light issues but that's for later..doh!!

Anyway, bike runs great but the last few times I have taken it out it has lost power on the highway, can't confirm if its one cylinder that shuts down or its a whole power loss to both.

It runs but its a challenge to keep it running to limp off the highway. Bike is not running hot on the highway and occurred just mellow cruising at 5000 rpm.

It has a PCV on it currently with aftermarket slip ons..

Once I get it stopped and turned off and just briefly wait, I can start it up again like nothing happened. I did this the other night and rode it for about an hour with nothing happening again.

Its done this twice so far.

I tried to search with the same issue on the site but nothing close.

Ideas?

Basically what would cause to drop power (one cylinder type of feel) and to be able to start right back up again, like nothing happened and run great...

1) Bad PCV?
2) dirty fuel clogged ejectors from sitting?
3) coil ?
4) CDI bad?
5) Plugs..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Since you've purchased a 19 year old motorcycle that may have been sitting for a while, you should start with basic maintenance. Replace the fuel, coolant, oil, plugs, etc. I'll send you a link to download the service manual. Start with the basics and set a baseline before you start looking at electronics and injectors.

\_(ツ)_/
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

More Info,

So I have done all the Fluids , Check!
Serviced the Clutch and added the Judder Seal, Spring and friction disk, Check! (big difference)

Plugs.. Ok i'll do.. never know them to make a bike act like that , but OK might as well put some good ones in...I'll have to research what ya guys like on that.

While I got the sides panels off, might as well check all the connections, plug wires , coils, ground, CDI connection etc.

I guess I'm looking for some one who this actually experienced with or who know someone and what cause it.

Watch it be simple like dirt in gas or something.. Odd that I could drive it for hours and nothing then take it out and 5 minutes on the highway it drops.. Restart...drive all day!
Ugggggg.

Thanks keep the info coming, much appreciated... man just like my Ducs...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Since I got it..

20MM peg Drop
Moto Exotic Vented Rear Rotor
Super Sprox alloy 43 tooth 530 sprocket
RK Gold Oring Chain
GPR Moto 3 High Mount exhaust slip on (perfect fit nice hardware) they are still making RC51 fittments
DSM Billet Short Clutch and Brake levers
Billet 5 degree clip ons
billet reservoir covers
New targa windscreen and Honda die cut lettering back on.
Rear seat Cowl (New)
22mm Preload adjusters
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	131001  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode