Fuel delivery problems - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Fuel delivery problems

Gentlemen, it's been a while but my RC is hitting the streets again. 2001 that sat for 5 years in a climate-controlled shop with no fuel in the system or so I thought. A couple of years back I took the bike to a local shop to go over her and install a front radiator system. The tech found there was still some fuel left in the system but no real damage was done and he was able to get her fired up after some maintenance. The bike ran well for the couple of months after getting her back but since then it has sat more often than ridden. This is my fault; kids, work, out of state family situations.

For the last year, I have ridden her for a couple of miles 2-3 times a month to keep her from just sitting. There's a fresh tank of gas in her but the last couple of rides she tends to want to stall going into or exiting turns. Sometimes she wants to stall in a straightaway but more often in the turns. When I first power up the pump primes buts makes an odd sound towards the end of the cycle. The fuel and brake systems are original from 2001 so I'm thinking it's time to replace and update.

I was planning on replacing the FPR and filter but since I was in there I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to replace the fuel feed and return lines and the fuel filter return (sediment trap). I noticed on the last ride the clutch fluid reservoir was empty but I find no leaks anywhere. I'm thinking the reservoir or cap is not sealing.

Is there anything else I should be considering since I'll have the tank off and have access to most of the engine? Does anyone know where I can find the o-rings for the metal fuel lines on the throttle bodies? It's listed as GASKET SET 16010-MCF-003.

I won't give up my RC has too much sentimental value and no other bike I have ridden gives the same feedback or feeling.

Thanks fellas for any feedback. Miss the Rogue forum.

Last edited by DirtyTaco; 10-23-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
if it tries to stall when off throttle it's quite likely to be the FPR

just pull the vacuum hose off the fpr then prime the pump, if fuel comes out of the vacuum port then replace it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Wibbly,

Will do sir and thank you. From what I've read on this forum of similar problems I keep thinking it would be best to replace several of the fuel systems components so I'm not chasing a gremlin.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 04:14 PM

What else would you replace?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking about the filter, fuel feed and return lines and the fuel filter return (sediment trap). I'm haven't been able to locate the o-rings listed as part #2. She is 18 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Throttle body.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	131281  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 04:53 PM

I'd maybe replace the filter. But I wouldn't bother with the rest of it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Even at 18 years old and no maintenance to the fuel system?

I figured the FPR, filter, and pre-filer would be almost necessary but the fuel lines and gaskets would be done since I would have the tank off anyway. I'm more curious about the injectors and how well they are performing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in