Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Central Florida
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This past weekend I was able to start my Baby. I rolled her out of the Garage and into the driveway, gave her a little pat on the top of the tank and pushed the start button. She fired up immediately without even using the fast-idle knob. I immediately put the Multi-meter on the battery and discovered that the voltage was right at 15 volts and was slowly climbing so I shut her down. I disconnected the Stator and tested the yellow leads with the motor running but the stator disconnected. It was 30 volts AC at idle (which my idle is a little high at 1600 RPM's) and climbed up around 90 volts at 5000 RPM's. That seemed a little high but I read that as long as it's consistent across all 3 leads and isn't crazy high that's OK. So I replaced the Rectifier/regulator with an extra that I had and tried again. Started right up again but this time the voltage at the Battery was around 14.5 volts DC and stayed there as I rolled the throttle to around 5000 RPM's. I let her run for about 30 Minutes in the driveway and watched the Multi-meter as the fans kicked on and off. When the fans came on it dropped to around 13.5 volts because of the draw but only for a second and then went back up to around 14.5 volts. I put the fairings back on and fired her up again (hoping I didn't mess something up putting the fairings back on). She fired right up so I took her for a ride around the block. AWESOME! Everything went great so I did another round, and another, and another. Next ride... maybe tonight... I might venture to the gas station to put some non-ethanol gas in her.
I'm really hopeful that she's finally fixed and thankful to everyone here who helped me to understand what might or might not be happening!
I'll post again after more rides...
As far as what actually fixed the problem, I think it was a combination of problems that became compounded because the Bike sat for 5 years and some of those were probably spent outside. To recap, the parts I replaced were: Stator, Rectifier/Regulator, coils, CDI (Repaired) and fuel pump.
Last edited by oneshot onekill; Today at 01:28 PM.