Stator has me baffled! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 10THbikE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Stator has me baffled!

I'm working on resurrecting my RC51. I got it recently and it had sat for about 5 years with the previous owner because it keeps burning out CDI's (and those are expensive!). I rebuilt a CDI and it appears to work. I decided to start the bike yesterday and check the Stator. I unplugged the Stator from the rectifier and checked the resistance. About .5 Ohms with all combinations of the three legs. Good. Then I started the bike with the stator still disconnected. Changed my multi-meter to AC Volts and started checking the three-leg combinations again. At first because I only checked each one for a second or two all seemed well running at around 26v at Idle. Then I left the multi-meter pins on one of the combinations while I was going to roll the throttle. Before I could touch the throttle the voltage slowly decreased down to about 5.5 volts! WHAT! I checked the other combinations and the same thing. If I left the multi-meter connected for a few seconds the voltage slowly dropped to around 5 volts! WTF! I've never seen a Stator act like that. Usually it's either low from the get-go or you get nothing at all.
Anyone out there ever see a Stator gradually drop? It would start out at around 26.5v every time I moved the leads but then would slowly drop. Bike was running the whole time. The connector I was checking was the Stator output cable unplugged from the rectifier, just to be clear.

Any knowledge would be much appreciated... and I did already order a new Stator.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I replaced the Stator and all seems well now. The old Stator was very dark all over. Not just on certain coils or groups of coils... the whole thing seemed burnt. One of my friends who is a Motorcycle mechanic for a living said it showed signs of overheating. I didn't know that was a thing.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
The regulator often causes this and Roadster Cycle recommend the Shindingen 847 series regulator for reduced stator temps. After having a reg fry on my CBR900RR I started using dielectric grease on all my connectors when I came across them during servicing but always from the start the stator/reg connector. Just a slight amount of corrosion there raises the resistance and will smoke the reg and eventually the stator. The mosfet regulators seem to be better in the charging system and most late models are coming with them but the dielectric grease is cheap insurance as well. Check your connector between the reg and stator. The wires will get brittle and you may see the connector appears overheated, brown in color.
Joe XR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode