RC51 Forums banner

fans for front mount rads?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  RC-DEVIL 
#1 ·
hello gents,

recently grabbed a set of Jimmy's Thermae cooling front mount rads, need to figure out a fan cooling situation since my bike is primarily street use (using thermostat).

I know 4in SPAL fans will work, but they only provide minimal CFM (~147); just wont cut it GA heat sitting at a light or traffic. The 5in model (double CFM) "may" clear but i fear its just too tall/wide.

does anyone know of some 4-5inch fans that are thin (1-2") and provide at least ~275 CFM+? i can only find SPAL.

is it possible to wire the bike for more than 2 fans? since the thermostat kicks them on 220, maybe run 2 fans on left vertical rad. and 1 or 2 smaller fans on the upper rad. (4in). would like it to be "OEM" in function as possible (if thats even possible at this point)

anyone with front mounts or experience, please chime in:D

thanks

below is a pic i found of one on facebook, two of these type of fans would work nicely (still trying to get a spec on this fan, or if there is something better)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I was looking at the radiator area of my FZ1 and its two fans.
The overall area of the FZ1s radiator is roughly about the same as the OEM RC51's radiator total area.

It uses two shrouded fans that are about 5" in diameter and are relatively thin (not counting fan motor).
It keeps my FZ1 temps down to around 218 deg. F during the summer.

Just for reference, the PNs for the two fans are 2D1-12405-01-00 (left fan) and 2D1-12405-11-00 (right fan).

Go to a dealer and take a peak and see if these meet your requirements.

Will no doubt have to adapt a connector for the RC51 use.

#3 ·
I would logically say ..Yes to more than two fans(SPAL fans) Being that OEM fan (1) has a Starting current draw of 20 amps, and runs at 12 amps.. SPAL fan (1) has a starting draw of 10 amps and runs at 6 amps... Space would be my concern..
Yet =if you are going to add more than two fans...
WHY not find TWO larger SPAL fans that will still fit in the area....
Even the Larger SPAL fans have less amp draw than OEM.....

#4 ·
well the trick is, i have to keep OEM bodywork and it has to fit on the rear face of the radiators(puller fans). The picture in the 1st post has 2013 yamaha R1 OEM panasonic fans. the size seems just right. Im going to give these a go (2 on the left vertical rad) and see if i can sqeeze maybe 1 (maybe 2) on the top rad

Maybe wire the 4 yamaha r1 fans into 2 OEM connectors off some SP2 fans so it will plug n play with the harness.

#5 ·
In my experience (admittedly only in ambient temps of up to 30 degrees C)
30 mph is enough to keep operating temps normal so i have never fitted fans to my front mount radiators
If i were using the bike to commute accross town i might think about fitting them, but i think we can agree that commuting is not its forte

#7 ·
Georgia heat is a different animal. its heavy and humid, combine that with surrounding hot idling cars and the heat bouncing off the asphalt. Im just trying to do my due diligence, i know these things run hot anyways. I just want to make sure im doing the fans to the best of my ability. id like to put these two r1 fans on the side rad and maybe 1 or two 4" spal fans on the top rad. i just dont want to get caught with "my pants down" with the bike overheating waiting at a long left turn light etc.

Im sure i would be "ok" with no fans or just the 2 4" fans as JB said would work, i just want a better solution if its possible.

#8 ·
im running front mounts on my sp2 that i'm building and will run it in my commute here in phoenix. I'll keep you posted as the bike will be ready for the ride soon as things are heating up here. I'm going to do one 4" spal with engine ice and I anticipate i'll be fine. i'm also going to run a manual fan switch to kick it on earlier

#9 ·
bumping this back up, after wasting a buttload of money on fans....

i think 4in SPAL puller fans will be the best deal here, as much as tried to fit 5in fans and the r1 fans, i just dont have the skills to make the little brackets and what not

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.