https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/5236844382.html

1986 Honda Interceptor...learned on it
1988 Yamaha Radian...wheelied on it
1990 Yamaha FZR...friend totaled it
1997 Honda Shadow...wife stole it
1998 Yamaha YZF...noob tree'd it
2002 Honda 954RR...just sold it
2005 RC51...finally found it

...if I stop runnin' the evil little clowns will get me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
:-O
that's delicious! unfortunately, just a little higher than my budget
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
It's a little higher than most budgets... I cannot even count how many times I have seen that bike listed for sale.
MakisRC51 likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 01:35 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
i would pay about $6k usd for that bike, not a cent more.

always liked the rothman's replicas
MakisRC51 likes this.

2003 SP2: Everything I could find.
1991 Honda HawkGT
2008 XR650L
Dec. 2011&2013, Sep. 2015, May 2019 BOTM
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 09:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
That's well over-priced. I have an NSR250 MC21 that cost me some $2,000 or so....OK granted it wasn't in the same condition as this one and had a fairing that was pretty tired and general ageing, etc. it was only a project base, for which I essentially only needed the engine, electrics and a few other bits - the rest's been sold as parts... Or will be when I get around to it...

It says 1992 on the ad, but I'd bet it wasn't manufactured in '92. That looks like a '90 to me but I haven't checked into 1990 styles, the later ones didn't have this colour scheme AFIK. Here's a brief history of the MC21 for those that may be interested: http://www.nsr-world.com/history/

On this bike a repainted original fairing, new exhausts & expansion chambers from Tyga, polished forks, etc. tells me this bike probably hasn't always been in such tidy condition. Tyga has recently started supplying Ohlins shocks for these, which is probably where this one has come from. I notice some low spec. Brembo calipers at the front, along with rusty floating disc rings, Tyga rearsets, a steering damper & what may be a white face instrument conversion from the single pic. There may be more, but it looks like it's just got a few inexpensive Tyga bits. Missing the passenger seat pad, which usually distorts from much time in hot sunshine. The front cowl frame has been painted black, presumably because it wasn't in good shape. It's not an original bike...

Since buying mine, I've put it away whilst collecting a lot more parts and should be beginning to assemble on an MC28 frame (With title), single swing arm, etc. along with a long list of top quality parts & upgrades over this winter... Tyga's making a full carbon MC28 tail cowl from a mold produced from original panels sent to them along with a GP replica top cowl complete with carbon ducts to go with other MC28 original bodywork & tank which they'll paint in Doohan GP replica colors before sending to me. Right now I have all the bits to assemble the bike so it'll run, only missing things like brake lines which I'll but components for & assemble when the measurements are in hand.
In the end, I'll have a perfect MC28 with sorted suspension, brakes, etc. but without the difficult to de-restrict MC28 ECU & silly credit card key - complete with Dymag Carbon wheels, reworked (Maxton 20mm cartridges) NC35 upside down front end with larger brake diameter, etc. all done - for less than the cost of this near standard bike that's been tarted up for sale. Should be fun with around 60 bhp, modern suspension, brakes and tyres.

A mint MC21 is about $4000 in Japan, maybe a little more for something really pristine, or $6,000 for a tuned one. MC28's are the holy grail of these and worth a bit more.

Hell, if someone here really seriously wanted an NSR250 in N. America, I could buy one here and send it to the US in about 8-10 parcels, via post. No idea on how it would be registered, but it's possible I guess. People have done it before. They're pretty light, so broken up into parts it's feasible, especially using surface post it's not that expensive. I've already sent an engine to Australia in the post for an enthusiast there. I'd just need to be paid for the time put in to make this happen but it would be a helluva lot less than $14K!

These classic 2 strokes are gaining value, but the only 250's reaching over $10,000 in Japan are mint & as new last of the breed MC28's and even those don't usually go much above $8,000 for the best examples. Has to be something truly exceptional to get to $10K. I've seen a highish mileage NR750 sell for $25,000, or RC30's sell for $17K here, so $14K for an MC21 NSR250? Nah...
I know someone with a mint MC28 in original Repsol colours that's been hiding in a garage for years too... Unfortunately I only found this one after I'd bought mine, but anyways...
MakisRC51 likes this.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

Last edited by The Stig; 09-25-2015 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Adding a link.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Hell, if someone here really seriously wanted an NSR250 in N. America, I could buy one here and send it to the US in about 8-10 parcels, via post. No idea on how it would be registered, but it's possible I guess. People have done it before. They're pretty light, so broken up into parts it's feasible, especially using surface post it's not that expensive. I've already sent an engine to Australia in the post for an enthusiast there. I'd just need to be paid for the time put in to make this happen but it would be a helluva lot less than $14K!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...does anyone know if theres issues registering in the US?

1986 Honda Interceptor...learned on it
1988 Yamaha Radian...wheelied on it
1990 Yamaha FZR...friend totaled it
1997 Honda Shadow...wife stole it
1998 Yamaha YZF...noob tree'd it
2002 Honda 954RR...just sold it
2005 RC51...finally found it

...if I stop runnin' the evil little clowns will get me!

Last edited by Jetfuel; 09-26-2015 at 10:37 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 11:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Well I see two issues, DOT and EPA regulations.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-the-u.s.-with

Quote:
The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will not register a vehicle that has been imported into the U.S. without proof an entry was filed with CBP and proof the vehicle conforms to U.S. emissions and safety standards. If the vehicle does not conform to U.S. emissions or safety standards, you will not be able to register it in the U.S. You will either have to bring it up to U.S. standards or export the car.
DOT regulations on a motorcycle are pretty damn easy to meet in my opinion. To show that, DOT form HS-7 needs to be submitted to the DMV and this is one of the options on the form:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...hs799short.pdf

Quote:
The vehicle or equipment item conforms to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
(or the vehicle does not conform solely because readily attachable equipment items that will be
attached to it before it is offered for sale to the first purchaser for purposes other than resale are not
attached), and Bumper and Theft Prevention Standards, and bears a certification label or tag to that
effect permanently affixed by the original manufacturer to the vehicle or affixed by the manufacturer
to the equipment item or to its delivery container in accordance with applicable National Highway
Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regulations [591.5(b)];
I'd say that almost everything required to get a motorcycle to meet DOT regulations are "readily attachable equipment items". I suppose it might be difficult to get an importer to agree with that assessment though as they are the ones that have to fill out these forms.

For the EPA, form 3520-1 needs to be submitted showing the vehicle meets regulation. From the form, vehicles 21 years or older are exempt from meeting any sort of requirement

http://www2.epa.gov/sites/production...nts/3520-1.pdf

Quote:
code E - vehicle at least 21 years old (calendar year of manufacturer subtracted from year of importation) and in original unmodified configuration is either exempted or excluded from EPA emission requirements, depending of age.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 12:51 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Alright, after a little more digging i found out that the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards issue can be a big deal and pretty much impossible to deal with. However:

Importation and Certification FAQ's Directory--All Vehicles

Quote:
A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS.
MC21's are already that old...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
THE STIG- put a rvf400 into a box and ship it to me!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 04:59 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Expensive to ship an entire bike in a crate. Very expensive from Japan. Cheaper to send in pieces!

We could source & ship an RVF400. Lots of parts available for it from Tyga too. Check their site.

NSR250 is a better bike for fun though!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode