RC51 Forums banner

So when did I get old and is it ok?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Marc Jorgensen 
#1 ·
Bit of background first. Ex military (helicopters), Ex Air Traffic Controller, 2 wars, 9 years in the sandpit in total, 1050 skydives(military and civilian) and I'm Irish! Whats better that that?!?

So I was riding last week and a couple of 'Busas pulled into the bar I was having a 'Soda' at. We talked for while and I realized, either it's my age or maybe a cultural difference. Straight line speed doesn't do it for me!

Maybe I'm just stuck in the mid 2000's but here is my present garage

2003 BMW M3 Convertible (95,000 miles)
2003 RC51 (39,500) Mostly standard, tail unit, PC3, levers, Micron High Mounts
2003 RC51 (5,800) Nowhere near standard, every mod in the book, rearsets, braided lines, overbore heads, higher compression, clip-ons, etc

Fast is good but power without control is pointless. It was all proven when we left and went for a ride, yes, they pulled away but not one of them could stick it into a corner at pace and your extended shiney swingarm an fat tyre is just pointless! IMO

Am I just ranting or old? Or both????

See less See more
#2 ·
fully agree! straight line speed is like the new thing i guess idk i am 28 so im no little kid or old man.. but i had a 2004 gsxr1000 stock lenght few mods and jesus was it fast.. but now i got my RC51 and im truly in love with it.. no where as fast as my suzuki in the stright.. but idk i find that so boring.. every bike is fast straight ... thats why they got a regular bike cuz thats what regular ppl want. busa's are like the corvette of the bike world.. fast yes. but everyone has on! rvt1000r! thats a gem!

Reactions: Motleyfan
#3 ·
You're not old just mature enough to enjoy the finer things in life like cornering. I'm pushing 60 and I have 2 RC's and love them both. The newest bike I have is an 07 and I know I can't keep up with the kids I ride with but I still enjoy myself. That's the name of the game!!:cool:

#5 · (Edited)
Well the unfortunate truth is a great rider on that busa is quicker even in the corners than an average rider on your typical modded out garage queen with everything and the kitchen sink thrown at it. 99% of the crowd that are running brembos, ohlins, bst, etc are not fast enough to notice the benefits of the parts and do it just because they can $$$$$. It hurts but it is the gods honest truth (me included). Even if they "think" they are fast, they are not really that fast, if they were we would have heard of you racing on Sundays. Just facing reality guys.

Point: it's all about the rider, not the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.