RC51 Forums banner

Bike Stalls When Rolling Off Throttle

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Rothmans 
#1 ·
Hello, haven't been here in a while. Previously I was looking for parts for a VFR project and caught the RC51 bug that I couldn't shake till 3 months ago.
Managed to find an SP1 - 2001 imported to Australia from England by a local dealer. The bike has been running fine till a few weeks ago when it fouled one of the plugs and went back to the shop.
New plugs and she's running fine again.

However, it has started stalling on me, predominantly when rolling off the throttle, sometimes at a steady cruise.
Cycle the key and it chugs back to life and idles fine. Might get a few hundred yards down the road and again will sputter and stall.
Must have done this 10+ times in order to get home the other day. Got me home though :)

I figured at the time it might have been the fuel pressure regulator leaking back into the cylinders and flooding the engine. So I decided to ride home quite briskly with no further issues.

I have since raised the tank and tested the FPR only to find it is bone dry on the vacuum side :(
Is it possible the FPR can fail intermittently? There is a strong smell of fuel from the engine and exhaust when this issue occurs. No leaks.

Fuel pump checks out ok, fuses ok, wiring and connectors are all tucked away and in good shape.

Bike is mostly stock, no power commander, Leo exhaust.

I will continue to check the airbox and associated tubing.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, I've ordered through Partszilla, as they have the cheapest shipping. Can afford to wait.
They want AUS$130 (US$100) locally :/ That's a walk in and pickup price

I attached tubing to the FPR and could taste/smell fuel vapor.

#5 ·
Yeah the plugs are new, look clean and have good spark.
I didn't want to abuse them anymore than they should.
Even after the amount of stoppages I had... the ping home would have helped.

The plan is to wait for the FPR and try again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.