RC51 Forums banner

wiring questions

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Shawn McAlees 
#1 ·
Turning my bike into a track only bike. My situation currently... I have not ridden the bike in at least 3 months. I disconnected all lights and the bike still started without problems. A few weeks later I disconnected the clutch sensor/light switch dongle (light switch not needed anymore) and disconnected the kick stand. I tried starting the bike up and it couldnt get started. All the lights come on and it tries to start but then the battery just dies and it will eventually stop cranking. My question is, is my battery just dead or is the fact that I disconnected the clutch sensor and kick stand preventing me from getting it started?

Any help is much appreciated.

2003 RC51
-Mac

#2 ·
I'm surprised that you got it to crank! If memory serves disconnecting the clutch switch and kickstand will usually require that you find a way to complete the circuit for those 2 items in order to get the bike to fire. It is still strange that it will crank the engine in this circumstance even if it's not giving it spark. Try reconnecting the handlebar switch and kickstand and see if you get it to fire, then remove one at a time and try to refire.

#4 ·
The kickstand doesn't affect starting if the bike is in neutral. Same with the clutch switch.

You don't need either of them to start the bike. Think about it.

In neutral the bike will start with the kickstand up or down, and with the clutch pulled or not.

Neither of these switches have a role when the bike is in neutral.

If, however the bike is in gear, the starter will be locked out. the sidestand switch, if open, will shut off the ignition.

If the bike is in gear and the kickstand switch is closed, the clutch switch will override starter lock out and allow the starter to operate.

This topic comes up over and over and I wish someone would sticky the logic between these circuits. People seem to misunderstand it.

#8 ·
Check there's a spark (Use an old spark plug held against the engine with some insulated pliers)) and if you can smell fuel in the exhaust after trying to crank it.
If there is spark & fuel, then perhaps it's flooded. Use some ether engine starter sprayed into the intake funnel whilst you crank it. That should get it running. If not then something's up...

#9 ·
quick update: I tried the full throttle method but no bueno. I think it may be flooded or another issue at hand. A little closer look at where I did some trimming to fit the race bodywork in the tail section revealed that I may have nicked a wire on the main wiring harness. It coincides with the time frame the bike was working and then not working. Im just gonna bring it in and have a mechanic look at it with a diagnostic computer when I bring in the bike to get the front suspension upgraded. I will update once complete. thanks everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.