RC51 Forums banner

Fueling issue

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  jgspecial 
#1 ·
Hi

I have just bought an SP1 (RC51 UK version)

The bike was a non runner as it had been sat in a garage for 8 years
The fuel tank had very stale fuel debris and the fuel pump was not working, so I have removed the tank
Flushed it out thourghly with a special cleaner and purchased and fitted a new fuel pump assembly with new tank gasket and fuel filter etc

One starting the bike, it ran perfectly well and sounded great, I ran it for about 20 mins and all was ok (very happy with the result).

However on starting it the next day it ran very bad the exhausts were smoking badly and it would not run properly
It seems to smell a lot of fuel and the exhaust end cans seem to be black and tarry as if it's not burning the fuel

I have checked the plugs they seem a bit wet but I am getting a spark
Just to note I have also done an oil and filter change and flushed and refilled the coolant, fitted new plugs and air filters.

Any ideas, as to what could be the cause wrong would be much appreciated

THANKS

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Yep, just the FPR. Inspect the little vacuum hoses for dry rot/splitting, but the FPR is your problem. There are a dozen posts here about it.

I was schooled on this by LDH, so I consider myself "educated".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.