RC51 Forums banner

SP1 cutting out when hot

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Trace 
#1 ·
I recently purchased an 00 SP1 from a fella at my work with some fairing damage which was easy to fix. upon starting the bike it runs fine, a little rich but nothing serious, after letting it warm up to around 80c the bike coughs and splutters and stalls. it will fire up again after a few cranks and sometimes with a backfire. the previous owner said he'd replaced the FPR and after testing it there is no leak coming from the nipple. He had it dry stored for a couple of years but started it up every month but never rode it. just looking for ideas as to what it could be.

#2 ·
Did you install new spark plugs? Starting the bike when stored will keep fuel circulating thru the injectors but if the bike isn't ridden it's not under load and the plugs eventually start to foul. Also make sure battery at full (12.8 volts or more) charge. These are the first things I would check.

#4 ·
Did you get her going? Just curious as we all learn whenever someone posts what their problem was and how it was resolved. Feel free to ask more questions. Lots of very experienced guys on the board to help and never actually seen anybody dis someone for forgetting to turn the kill switch to run or some other similar fail.:smile2:

#5 ·
Funny you should bring up the kill switch. I always shut my bikes off with the key. A buddy and I switched bikes for a short bit, during a ride. When I got my bike back, It wouldn't start. Now mind you, it has had issues in the recent past with the starter button. This is my Suzuki Katana. Anyway, all the guys I ride with are getting ready to push me to start the bike, when I realize the kill switch had been used by my Buddy. Almost made those fat boys push me! My buddy says he always uses the kill switch. Even still, I felt kind of dumb for not investigating things a bit more thoroughly on the outset.

#6 ·
Yep. I use the key also and have had the same experience letting friend ride it and used the kill to shut off. Most of the Hondas I remember will spin the starter in the off position which I think is useful when doing a compression check, you don't have to worry about the plugs and ignition.
I think we may have all done it one time or another. In other lame moves by yours truly, I was a couple minutes from calling the dealer when my new SL350 quit running after 2 days of riding. Fortunately I found the reserve position on the petcock. Fortunately no one was around to witness Mr Dumbass.
:D

#7 ·
Alright people, sorry its been a while but I've been working away for the past 4 months.
so I've had this week off and have finally got around to giving the bike a going over and I'm glad to announce that the problem has been fixed. turns out it was a dodgy TP senor. Bought a second hand set of throttle bodies from fleabay for a whole £80 swapped the old ones out and now shes running great. hope this helps anyone that may be having a similar problem and has exhausted the typical stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.