RC51 Forums banner

Hotbodies undertail.,,

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Rocker 
#1 ·
My 02 RC came with one and I saw a video that said “ devalued $500” when he sees a hotbodies. Are oem undertails and lights a million bucks?

#6 ·
For whatever it's worth, I just installed a Bestem undertail on my bike, which was less than half the cost of the Hot Bodies ($70), is of honestly great quality, fit, and finish, and was processed and delivered within two days from their place in GA to my door. My one and only gripe is that the brake light LED intensity is only marginally greater than the running tail lights.

I actually added a super bright single cluster 3w red LED third brake light on the vertical part of the inner fender under the battery just for a little added safety, since most drivers in my area are brain-dead idiots, texting while driving and not paying attention to anything. This LED is honestly really hard to look at when it's on full bright with the brakes, so hopefully getting rear-ended is not how my next wreck happens. I'll get a picture of it if anyone's interested.
Here's the Bestem kit:

Attachments

#7 ·
I like your idea of the third (blinding :) ) brake light.

The Bestem uses integrated brake and turn signal, right?
I'm not a fan of integrated, I like the turn signal separate and in addition to both brake lights.
For me, that means the old Hotbodies that came with my bike. Repainted about three times now. Lol.
Even with a hugger the underside takes a beating.
Last time I painted was when I swapped in my SP2 subframe.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
Yeah, the Bestem does use an integrated rear tail and turn signal, but my thought there was I don't count on anyone seeing me anyway (unless they hear me first and happen to look up from their phone long enough to see me), so even though I always use my turn signals, I still always look back and power ahead if someone is even close. I'm kind of a super-defensive rider that way. So I'm good with the minimum requirements for the law and I dig the slightly cleaner look. But below is where I put that third brake light...the pic just does not do justice to what an assault it is on your eyeballs. Added a pic with just the running light for comparison. Very nice quality unit I found on Amazon for $14... Chinese no doubt, but not your typical Chinese crap. Very well built, water proof, and a good 36" of heavy insulated 16 ga wire leads. More than I can say for the Bestem LEDs, which are typical Chinese crap and run those tiny 22 ga wires. But between that and the very bright and great quality Proton flushmounts up front, I should be seen!

An idea I had after you mentioned that the underside takes a beating is maybe cutting a piece of thick clear vinyl to shape and applying it under there to maybe save the finish a bit...like those clear bras some cars use.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.