RC51 Forums banner

Swingarm click

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jason Glynn 
#1 ·
So today I took my sp1 for a quick ride around the block. Bike had been sitting all winter. Ride was smooth like always. When I got home and parked the bike I hear a loud click from the swingarm / rotor side. Sounds like when a hot exhaust cools. Didn't think anything about it thought it was the pipe cooling. It continued for about 5 min and stopped. Rode it again and made the same sound when I got home. Any ideas why my swingarm is making this noise

#2 ·
Does it make this sound only when the swingarm/suspension is flexed while standing still?
Is it a sound like creaking? Does it make this sound when engine cold?
If so, it might be a issue with the rear suspension linkage and/or swingarm bearings lacking grease.

I would put the bike on a stand where you can pull the linkage and check the seals and grease on the rocker arm and link arms.
If the seals got damaged, then water/grit/etc. may have gotten into the bearings.

I know when I checked mine years ago, I had two damaged seals, although the bearings weren't damaged, so I was able to clean and repack after replacing the seals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.