Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums (https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/)
-   Engine Work (https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/18-engine-work/)
-   -   Intermittent front head tick (https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/18-engine-work/14377-intermittent-front-head-tick.html)

Radrc51 04-09-2013 07:56 PM

Intermittent front head tick

Hey guys how's it going? I just. Bought 03 RC 51 bike is very nice has powercomander with k&n filters. And yosh system . I'm new to v twins. Bike has 22k on it . I'm very mechanically inclined . Just wanted to see what' you guys have seen on these engines . Basically cold starts sound ok riding with load on engine is ok. After I park it for 15 min then go to start the bike it has a front head tick for about 2min max then goes away . Some times it doesn't do it at all . Im Probley going to take it apart this weekend and check the clearances . And visual inspection of the cams ect..

madbuyer 04-09-2013 08:01 PM

I would still do the checks like you stated but I would also check the exhaust pipe flange bolts where they mount to the head. A little exhaust leak would give it a "tick" sound. These bikes vibrate and it spares no bolts/nuts that aren't periodically checked and loc-tite applied.:cool:

Radrc51 04-10-2013 01:20 AM

Yeah I just had the bike apart . Flushed out all the coolant and used engine ice. Then I changed the oil and used honda hp semi syn oil 10w40. & checked the air filters ect.. The bike is not a Cali bike. Had few owners the guy that sold it to lied and said he was the second owner bike came from oh to ms then Cali . Unless they replaced everything the bike sure don't look like its been ridden much at all

James_03_rc 04-10-2013 11:49 AM

I hate reading threads like this:confused:

I just started mine up for the first time in about a couple days and heard something similar. It went away with in minutes, I'm guessing that it's the cam silencers making a little noise before getting oil flow to them. I only heard it on that side of the motor.

Is that possible?

I've checked my valves in the last 4k, all were in spec at that time.
Just over 22k on the clock now.

If your valves are in spec and running a proper fuel map, that would be my guess for your noise too.

James
Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Radrc51 04-10-2013 12:22 PM

Hi James yeah it wouldn't be a fuel map problem unless its too lean and detonation is happening . Mine is ok at cold starts it's just after a ride and it's warm. I lowered my idel to 1100ish so it's probley lack of oil pumping up to head I'll rase the idel back up. These bikes have cam fazors? Or slincers ? I need to review the work shop manual lol. You guy running the 15 w40 motul oil ? I using the 10 40 hp Honda semi syn

James_03_rc 04-10-2013 12:47 PM

My idle was set low too.

About the map, I was want just listing possible things that can cause I tick, ping or pop. I know that being the cause is a long shot.

I'm running 10-40 amsoil.

Recommend idle speed is 1300 +/- 100. I'm guessing that could be the root of the noise, low RPM, causing low oil pressure, letting the cam followers/ silencers make some noise.

James

Radrc51 04-10-2013 01:43 PM

Wow 1300 + 100 ok I will raise it thanks James !

James_03_rc 04-10-2013 02:07 PM

Yep, I just double checked the serv manual to make sure I was remembering right.

I raised mine to 1300 when at op-temp.
I'm pretty sure that was the cause, but I haven't tested to see if it changed anything yet.

James

madbuyer 04-10-2013 03:36 PM

Here is the link to down load a manual if you don't have one.

http://www.rc51.info/index.php?page=service

Yes, the idle seems a bit higher due to the two huge slugs they use for pistons.:cool:

Radrc51 04-10-2013 10:38 PM

I'm pretty sure it's oil pressure ran it let it sit for 15 min then start it has a valve train noise for 40 secs. Then goes away . Eather way sunday I will take it apart check the. Clearances . Im so used to inline 4 engines v twins sound like go cart engines at idle lol one hell of a go cart ! L