RC51 Forums banner

Shift indicator

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Polarbear 
#1 ·
Fitted this shift indicator today.
Its mint.
Set it to the revs you want & away you go.
The LED's can be set to come on sequencially if you want it to warn you when the rev limits coming up.
I've got it set to the shift kill revs so I know when I can use thr quickshifter.

See less See more
#6 ·
I was posting the shift warning indicator on the top of the instrument cluster but the gear indicators from Datatool. Its called a DiGi. It connects to the speedo output, the tacho output & calculates what gear your in from the two signals. Its a handy piece of kit.

http://www.datatool.co.uk/consumer/products/products/index.php?product=digi

I got the shift indicator off Ebay £30 which is a fraction of the price of the more bike specific ones on offer. Only problem I had was the tacho output signal was just too low so I had to change a resistor on the indicators board, No big job but I needed extra strong glasses to see what I was doing. Its tiny.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221228525119?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

#11 ·
I looked at the GI Pro and it is a nice unit. What I don't like is that the "Shift Light" is merely the display changing to "U" for upshift. I really need something to get my attention like bright, flashing red, strobe LED's. That way I know when to shift while still watching the road. The prices are pretty comparable too.

Also, the e-Bay item I listed is made by an Italian company, allegedly good quality, and is readily available in Europe. The problem is that not many people carry them in the USA and the ones that do carry them are putting a premium on them. I am going to decide who I am buying it from and place an order.

#13 ·
Ok guys, a little update:

It came in the mail in just over a week, from italy, and was as I expected. I had to tap into 4 wires on the main wiring harness (coming out of the gauge panel with the 20 pin connector near left headlight) and go through a quick set-up procedure. Once installed it works as designed. It calculates the gear based on the speed signal and RPM signal and changes instantly. The number is HUGE and the shift light can't be ignored (even in bright sunlight). You can program the shift light to work over a range that you define. For instance, you could have it give you a green light at 8,500, yellow at 9,000 and Flashing red at 9,500. You pick the beginning of the range, and the end, and it calculates the intermediate levels.

Please forgive the blurry pic, it is hard to hold the camera still while riding at 189 and holding the camera in one hand.

#15 ·
I paid 84.5 GBP or ~$130, including shipping to the USA.

You can change the backlight color to any of a large number of colors and I chose what was closest to the factory gauge color.

The gauge looks a little bigger in the picture because it is much closer to the camera than the factory gauge. I wanted it to be as close as possible to my field of view and I could not find an easy way to mount it where the factory gauge is. I attempted to mount it to the windscreen mounts, but decided against that. Went for a ride on Sunday evening and am happy with how it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.