RC51 Forums banner

The life and times with my 2003 RC

111K views 510 replies 55 participants last post by  James_03_rc 
#1 ·
Well I had all this in a notebook that I kept in the tail, but due to my all weather riding habbits....it's no longer a book, but just pieces and pages.

This is just something to keep track of my maintenance schedule, mods, add-ons and other highs and lows. If anyone sees something I've missed or have suggestions or comments please let me know.

I got the bike from a dealer in WI (Vetesnik Power Sports) on April 17, 2010.

VIN- M301473 with 3391 miles on the clock.

The mods that were on the bike were an undertail, slip-ons and smaller marker/signal lights.

I only have my notes from Feburay 16, 2011 to present. I'll try to fill in the blanks that I can.

But heres what she looked like when I got her.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I went down some time July 2010. Buddy of mine low sided on his 1k rr, I checked up, hit the brakes and drove her strait into the ditch. Yes I know n00b move :( Over all we were both ok, and cosmic damage to the bikes...shattered wind screen, cracked upper, inner and right fairing plus missing the clutch cup and mirrors. It took me till Oct to get her back on the road but she wasn’t prettiest. But this time she had a Hotbodies under tail.
In December and 7728 on the ODO, I brought her for repairs and mods.
-changed oil, Mobile 1 4T with a K&N filter
-New rubber front and rear, Michelin Pilot Powers 2CT, 190/55 rear
-Flapper, PAIR, air box modded
-1/6 turn throttle from a member
-spools from Ben (RC51parts.com)
-Scotts dampener from a member
-cleaned up the tail wires and under tail
-like new use upper, from a member

February 21, 2011
-Back on the road and pretty as she was :D

March 1, 2011
-8179 miles
Yes of all things a nail in my rear tire. The local bike shop put a plug patch in it. It held up for the life of that tire.

March 5, 2011
-8355 mile
-installed a 42t rear that I got from Ben (RC51parts.com)

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
April 1, 2011
Bad day, low speed low side, gravel in the road and the a$$ end just washed out on me.

April 2, 2011
Went to a Marine Corp Advanced Riders Track Day (ARTD)
Idrivertoys has a thread on it
http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4515

May 13, 2011
-10965 miles
oil change, Mobile 1 4T and K&N

June 18, 2011
finished my Ti Jardine mod, minus 5" and repacked

July 7, 2011
installed sliders, from Ben (rc51parts.com)

July 18, 2011
-13586 miles
replaced the rear Pilot Power 2Ct with a Pilot Road 2 2ct.
I do a lot of commuting and wore out the center.

August 1, 2011
installed levers I got from trogdor
http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5048

September 9, 2011
Went to another ARTD
had a great time, defently found the limit of the Pilot road. If anyone had the opportunity to go, take it!
this is from my buddys gopro on his DRZ, he was in differnt group but it gives an idea of the track layout.

September 18, 2011
-14544 miles
oil change, Mobile 1 4T this time went with a Wix filter.
I just realized that the oil was only 1000miles old,:confused::( damn.
Note to self check log before changing oil.

Attachments

#11 ·
well about 6hours, a thumb nail and a hair dryer and i got about 95% of my decals off.
Im hoping to get the rest done and start preping for paint on Thrs.

Has anyone used Plastex to fix cracks in fairings? Ive used it alittle on small stuff and it worked good. Im just unsure for the big ones

Thanx
James

#12 · (Edited)
Well just an update for everyone,

This week the body work is going to the paint shop after FedEx drops off the fairing I got from Ben. I will post pics after paint, the paint scheme Im going with I havent see done. Im not going to tell to much right now but the colors are going to be the candy red and pearl white that GM puts on the new Caddies.

More to come when its painted

James

Got the fairing last week, Great Service and fast shipping!!! like always from Ben

#13 · (Edited)
Well last night I was finally able get out and spend some time on the bike.

I'm just pass the 16k mark on the ODO, checked the valve lash...all is good. Only one valve .001" off perfect but still well with in spec.

Also,

Cleaned up the wiring in the tail and make a place to mount a PC3 and speed-o healer, when I get them. I think it turned out really good.

I still need to wire up the connectors for the undertail.

James

#25 · (Edited)
Finally got the bike back toether in new paint.

Its Honda Tango Red Pearl, I didnt pick out the white, its not the pearl white I planning. It just a strait white with light metal flake.

The pics dont do it justice.

This is what the 2nd switch is for

And its going to rain all weekend

#34 · (Edited)
I got the speedo healer installed (17449 on the odo).

Using code -10.3 for 16/42, 190/55 Pilot Road 2 2ct with about half life left.
Vehicle Transport Tractor Auto part Asphalt

Also got the Apex clip ons installed, along with a blood transfusion using 4qt of amsoil and a bosch filter this time.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Motorcycle.com App

#37 ·
I just took my first ride with the Apex clip-ons, these things are great!
More of an up right riding position, my wrists are at a complete neutral angel. I'm very happy with them and the $150 price point makes them that much better.

Pics to come

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Motorcycle.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.