RC51 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 10 year hiatus, I'm getting back into the sport bike thing.

I came across this RC-51 on Craigslist and purchased it. Runs fine; a bit of cosmetic damage to the fairings.

I like the color and the pattern, but I have not seen or referenced one RC-51 in this yellow pattern. The parts manual doesn't specify any other body panels other than the familiar red/silver color pattern. A Google search has not found any examples of yellow SP-1s out there either.

Does anyone here have one? Does anyone know where I can get new fairing without going to the OEM?

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have reviewed the fairings on eBay and I'm leaning towards the green, red, white Castrol fairings and repairing my tank.

The yellow fairings have really grown on me and if I can get these affordably, I'm thinking of keeping the bike as is.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Hi mate,you could always just get the panels repaired and painted yellow again most paint shops can do it Failing that if they are too badly damaged buy the fairings and get those painted yellow !! or u could send it 2 me over here and I'll do it!! he he he

·
Registered
98 Posts
someone just painted over the red on bike thats all, and they hit the front upper black. im buying a oem hong kong body kit...busted up RC plastics are not worth what people think they are worth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sundayrider, the black wings on yellow is hot. I agree with you growing on me as well and I have only been checking it out for a few mins as I look at the pic. I myself am restoring a 2000 SP1 and am going to paint it the castrol race colors you have posted. I have planned this for a year now, bike is now in grey primer will spray sometime this winter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i ended up buying an ebay kit...from what ive seen you need a dremal cuz all the holes are undersized. front fender lined up perfect, just needed to open the holes up. the upper was kinda pain....i couldnt tell if my upper stay was bent or the upper was off. headlights went right in at the correct spots. rear tail holes needed to be opened very large and some shaper shims put in to use oem hardware. working on the 2 side fairings now and ill be done. color is spot on. it comes with a undertail but its junk, i burned it. windscreen was the hardest part to get to line up with the upper holes...i got about 6 hours into it, but once its lined up its as simple and oem body work off and on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts