RC51 Forums banner

00 rc51 fuel pump rebuild

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Cutler Hammer 
#1 ·
I am having to go through the fuel pump due to bike sitting with bad gas for a long period of time. I have purchased a rebuild kit everything seems to be matching up just fine except for the kit did not include this capacitor that comes in from the two wires from outside the tank. One is blue , the one I need to fix is white going to a capacitor. The wire was corroded and as soon as I touched it broke. I need to get my hands on a new capacitor and solder it back to the connection,
Auto part Metal Wheel
any suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
Funny that you are posting this, I am in the middle of the exact same thing. I believe that is the fuel level sender, not a capacitor. If I understand the operation correctly there is a thermistor inside that metal “can”
which senses the fuel temperature. When the fuel level drops below that point the sensor will bring the fuel level warning light on the dash. Unfortunately, Honda does not supply individual parts for the fuel pump. More knowledgeable individuals than myself may be able to give you better information on what type of component will replace it.
Personally, after seeing the condition of the pump/filter/etc. I didn’t have much confidence in any of them so I bit the bullet and bought a new pump assembly.

#3 ·
Funny that you are posting this, I am in the middle of the exact same thing. I believe that is the fuel level sender, not a capacitor. If I understand the operation correctly there is a thermistor inside that metal “can”
which senses the fuel temperature. When the fuel level drops below that point the sensor will bring the fuel level warning light on the dash. Unfortunately, Honda does not supply individual parts for the fuel pump. More knowledgeable individuals than myself may be able to give you better information on what type of component will replace it.
Personally, after seeing the condition of the pump/filter/etc. I didn’t have much confidence in any of them so I bit the bullet and bought a new pump assembly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.