RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 I bought this winter that I just took out of the garage for the first time. Starts right up was going to do an oil change noticed a few funny things

First previously known was a small oil leak from the shifter after searching the forum looked like I could just replace the seal and be done with it.

Second with the clutch in the bike was starting to creep forward slightly. I if I rev'd it slightly it would start to pull forward and actually start riding.

Third I noticed after I took it around the block that I could not get the bike back into neutral it was hard to shift and even pulling the shifter up with my hand would just pass by neutral until I turned the bike off.

Thoughts? Are all these related? Was this all caused by some previous a-hole stunting? Can I fix this relatively cheaply or am I going to have to buy a new clutch and refurbish the trans gears?

My first track day weekend of the year is Saturday and Sunday do I sell the track days?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome good to know the kid put a 200 rear on the back that's basically square that was my biggest worry. The person who had it before him did all the right stuff to this bike and really took care of it and it's my 3rd I never had any issues with the clutch or gears shifting I got scared.

Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Change and bleed the clutch fluid, if problem persists, likely that you need new seals in the clutch slave, master, or both.

About the shifter seal, I don't think any disassembly is needed other than removing the shifter from the shaft. Don't quote me, but I think that's the case.
I run a 200/55 too, I doubt that caused any problems for the bike.
If the bike was used for stunting, then it would probably have some radical sprocket out back. OEM is a 40 tooth. What does your's have?
You may want to pick up a fuel pressure regulator too. If the bike's been stored for a while, the diaphragm deteriorates and starts to leak once she's been running for a bit again, making your bike run fat.

Good luck, hope you getter fixed before the weekend! :smile2:

EDIT: you may want to change the engine oil to a good quality synthetic if you haven't already. Old oil can cause problems too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Changed the oil and everything worked great! Went to the track for a weekend Saturday ran great and today 3rd run slipped out of gear and I had to pull off track. Would get to like 7k and pop out I'll post the video.

Get back to the paddock and up running on a stand shifted to first holding the clutch in and rear tire is spinning and it's making a clanking sound from the clutch side. Guessing I need s clutch hopefully nothing else!

When I did the first oil change it was the consistency of water which I thought was weird also kinda weird color wise...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you guys think this is?
OK this should work...

Front straight there is a *click* and as it gets too 104 & 110 it starts slipping. I noticed something weird went to the right of the straight like an idiot...
After turn 4 it starts slipping
Then out of on the back straight out of the bowl area it just destroys itself and I have to pull over.
https://youtu.be/otE7jYGizaQ

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Do you know what kind of oil was in it before (from the previous owner) and what did you change it with (not just brand, but the weight) btw ?

·
Registered
729 Posts
When mine did 3rd gear (it's always 3rd) I thought it was misfiring, it bangs in and out of gear quickly, take it for a ride, don't gun it in 3rd, short shift, if it does nothing strange in top gear, no slipping clutch it is almost certainly 3rd gear dogs and selector fork

·
Registered
420 Posts
It's not popping out of gear wouldn't it make a crazy amount of noise? I got it on the stands shifted to 1st with the clutch in and the tire stated moving. I never had to shift it back into gear
Soo are you saying the back tyre turns when it is on a stand only? Or does try to move forward if the bike is sitting on the ground and you put it in gear? If it is just on a stand and the back tyre is turning when it is in gear or even in neutral that is normal really.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts