RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Yep it sure will. Physically they are identical, although i've heard the SP2 has a deeper side to better tuck your knees. i can't confirm that though. The Bolt positions is the same and they are interchangeable. Be aware that there is a graphics difference though. The black wing tips are slightliy off.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Ditto on the leaking tank from 00 and 01. But it's real easy to spot from the underside. Mine had it when I bought it. I swapped on an 02 sp2 'loaner' tank, till i fixed mine. It fit perfectly.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Did either of you folks try to contact Honda with those leaking tanks. That is considered an "A" rank problem (Problem that could cause a fire or death) to them and have been really easy to deal with to get a replacement tank. May be worth a shot if you just make a call.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
No my tank was pretty banged up. Previous owner used it as a track bike, so i just replaced it.

I still have my old one and actually may take my tank into the dealer next week.....especially after reading this thread. Apparently.....there is a chance, though small, that Honda North America will replace it. My bike is in pieces right now, i may have to wait before i do this....or i might be able to just bring the tank in. Worth a try though

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-rc51/77682-sp1-fuel-tank-leak-any-successful-warranty-claims-repairs.html

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Yes, I agree. My approach would be that I understand there to be a recall and this tank is leaking......Call Honda directly, do not go to the dealership first.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
yeah i will give it a try when i get back this week and let you know. Sounds like Honda North America is pretty good about it. I don't think there was ever officially a recall on it though. i could be wrong. will keep you posted

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I don't know why it didn't occur to me, I've taken bikes in before for recall work. Like gts455, I heard all the warnings, so it was no surprise when I found mine rusted and leaking.

Thanks Madbuyer, I'll follow through with that idea also. I know what you mean about call first, don't go straight to the dealership. My experience's have taught me that too.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts