RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I went out to start my bike this morning and it turned on like usually and once I hit the starter button all the power shut off and it would not kick back on. I got it to briefly kick on again and went to hit the starter button and it shut back off and has not kicked on. When I say all power is off nothing comes on, I can't even pop start it.

The only thing i've recently had done was a new battery and regulator/rectifier. It was done at a shop so I know they did everything correct. I also just had the bike out saturday with no problems.

I'm at my wits end with this bike, it has been nothing but problems. Any help is greatly appreciated. I can't keep affording to take the bike to a mechanic.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Is it totally dead? No power at all.
If so, with the switch off, check the main 30A fuse at the starter relay.
And check the contacts on the starter relay because I've seen where the contacts weren't tight causing a resistive load and fried/melted the starter relay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep correct, you turn the key on and it has zero power. The battery has a good charge on it. I checked the 30 amp fuse and it was fine the connections were all good. It's just weird cause the first time I turned the key it turned on like normal then once I hit the starter button it cut all the power.

I don't want to sound like a noob but which side is the starter on? Would you have access to a service manual online at all?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The same thing happened when I changed the battery in my '87 Hurricane 600 this spring - the 30A fuse blew - finally figured it out and replaced the fuse - fired right up! I hope it is something simple like that for you, too :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright I looked at the starter relay and the fuse on top is good and I didn't see one underneath it. Can you take the relay apart? I think I've checked all the fuses I can see and all of them are good. Ill take a picture of the relay later to make sure I'm looking at the right part. I'm seriously at a loss with this thing. All the grounds look good and are tight. Is it possible that the starter relay is bad? Is there any way to test it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok here are some pictures of the relay. As you can see the fuse is still good, I've even went a head and replaced it with another one. Is there anyway my ignition switch could be bad? The FSM doesn't really touch on not getting power. Any easy way to test the starter relay other than buy another used one for cheap?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
10a fuse is good. Even tried replacing it with another good one and still no power. I hate this bike. Anyone want to buy it? lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I think it's going to the shop again. I'll update this thread when I find out what the mechanic finds out. This bike sure is getting expensive to own.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Yeah please do update us with the cause when find out.
On the surface, it almost sounds like an ignition switch problem.
The 10A fuse is in-line with the switch, which is in-line with the 30A fuse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
http://www.kingwoodcable.com/rc4g/images/rc51/RC51_Ignition_Switch_Bypass.pdf

I think I'm going to give this a shot before I take it into the shop.

Ok I wired the ign. switch into the kill switch and still have nothing. I just took my starter relay into the shop I go to and had them test it and it tested good. I've ruled out the ignition switch and the starter relay, wtf else am I missing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It ended up being the brand new battery I bought. I checked it and it tested good I don't know what or why it happened but it cost me 75 bucks to find out. I think a good process of elimination for this issue would be to-

Have the battery tested

Check the 10a fuse

Then check the 30a fuse on the starter relay

Then have the starter relay tested

I did it kind of assbackwards but it's fixed now and hopefully stays running the rest of the season.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts