RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an old motocrosser so be nice if I sound like a retard !! Rode in town got gas ... went to start and the fucker would not start ... 3 minutes later it started ... 30 miles down the rode it felt like it lost power for a split second ... 5 miles down the road it lost all power and died ... 5 minutes later it started .... rode 40 miles home with no problem .... starts then won't start !! F1 lights comes on .... anybody out there help this old upsguy out ?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on?
If not, that could be a problem also.
Have you jumpered the green service connector and switched the bike on to view the error codes? It may give a clue (or not).

And yes I'd try disconnecting the power commander from the system to test.
Of course it may not run perfect, but it may helpful to know it was or wasn't the problem.
If you have the PCIIIUSB, the you only have to reconnect the gray connectors on the left side of the engine.
If you have a PCIIIr, then you'll also have reconnect the red OEM connectors from the pulse generator coming out of the alternator at the lower front on the engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for you help SubSailor !! I have decided *uck it !! taking it to an honest moto mechanic I know tomorrow ... on vacation for three weeks and wanted to ride the frickin thing !!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello SubSailor ... I had an 02 a few years ago and remember just snapping the clutch in second gear and the front end came up easy. I bought another 02 ... seems WAY taller geared , can only get the front up in first. I barely get out of first in town. Not ever going to top this thing out and prefer a shorter shifting ratio. What teeth combo do you suggest with the sprockets ? I hope this question made sense !! I am going to count the teeth now. Thanks ... Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just counted 41 in the back ... not even going to attempt to access the front to count them !!! I fuck something up !! A mechanic I am not !!!

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
The stock final ratio is 16F and 40R.
The more popular final ratios are 15F and anywhere from 41 to 43R.
This allows the engine to run closer to the torque and power range.
While this may sound geared down quite a bit, the bike still has plenty of top end.
More than enough to land you in jail or a stiff fine.

You say you already have a 41T rear sprocket, so the unknown is the front.
You can probably guess it's either a 16T or 15T.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info ... when my sprockets wear out I think a 15-43 for me ... thanks again , Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey UPSGUY,
PM'd you. What did you end up finding wrong with your bike? Currious because mine is acting up.

Rick

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I could never explain it .... someone okie rigged some wiring .... I could give you the number of the guy who fixed it .... you from Lakeport ? You might know Jon Lampi .... really smart mechanic .... let me know if you want his number , he would explain to you what he did. I pull UPS trilers to Lakeport when the regular driver is on vacation

Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yep, I'm just over the hill from you. your mechanic's name does sound familiar. I just bought the bike about a month ago. Guy said it hadn't been ridden much in the last 2 years. I ordered a fuel filter and plugs, if that doesn't take care of it I'll be looking for a mechanic.

Rick

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am a motox guy at heart but broken bones and age got me to buy a rice rocket ... I don't try to ride this bike faster than I am capible of riding ... was a good moto guy back in the day but never raced a road bike. I bought this bike because it gives me wood to hear the motor roar. If you see a UPS semi pulling two trailors over hwy 20 give a wave !!

·
Registered
32 Posts
When the weather gets better and I get the bugs sorted out we'll have to meet up for a ride. I used to do moto, enduro, HS, and dez. Now just dual sport and this latest street missle. Raised in Potter, but don't know any of the UP's guys. My number's in the pm, we'll talk sometime,

Rick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts