RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to the rc51. i really love the bike. but have no clue about them. just asking for some advice about them. im debating between these 2 rc51s and have no clue about them just want some opinions from people who own them! first one is http://www.frontlineeurosports.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=04028284X9K18K2012J10I08I58JPMQ6910R0&veh=3709&pov=2830765 ... its at a dealer. and the second one is a private seller http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/mcy/3253843105.html... if you guys know any that are better and close to northern va. i would be happy to look at them. i have been riding street for 6 years now. i owned a ninja 650r, R1, and have a R6 now.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nothing changed in specification for the RC51/SP-2 from 02' to 06'.
Check for the usual SP-2 items: fork seal leaks, instrument panel function buttons, front brake calipers and discs, second gear @30mph throttle response, tank leaks at seat hinge,
Tough, reliable, and supremely well built dogs they are!
Carbon fibre pipes are not the best for these bikes, get originals, and plan for a titanium replacement.
Check all minor scrape areas underneath the body work for attachment trueness.
Expect fluids to be chafed.
Check NADA for latest prices.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
That '06 sure looks nice; do your homework prior to purchasing and be patient.

Search through some of the past threads on the message board here (and other sources online) for additional "maintenance" or "what to look out for" advice as well.

G'luck !

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Both have ridiculous low miles.
Funny that someone would go to all the expense of 5 very expensive body panels and gas tank to make an 02 look like 05/06.
At a Dealer no less. There was another bike here just recently where another Dealer had a bike with all the incorrect body panels. What's going on?
I'd trust a private seller before I'd trust a dealer...

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Both have ridiculous low miles.
Funny that someone would go to all the expense of 5 very expensive body panels and gas tank to make an 02 look like 05/06.
At a Dealer no less. There was another bike here just recently where another Dealer had a bike with all the incorrect body panels. What's going on?
I'd trust a private seller before I'd trust a dealer...
Knowing what the wholesale and retail (Cdn$) is on those parts I'd want to know why first. Anybody with that kind of coin for the plastics would likely source out the actual '05 or '06. My concern with this type of offering is that the bike has been in a bin-up and made to look 'fresh'. Inspect carefully...caveat emptor.
Having said that, both look in pretty fair nick in the pictures.
And remember, I AM a dealer and I'd be hard pressed to pull a shennanigan like that because of the cost of parts and labour and then have the deal come back and bite me; others however may be less scroupulous than I.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Also remember ebays famous chinese plastics come in the oem colors
Actually, Chinese plastics are amazingly good, especially at around 25% of the cost of originals. I bought a set to restore my daughter's salvaged 600RR, and was impressed with both the fit and quality of the paintwork.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts