RC51 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought an 03 rc51 with 11000 miles on it and slip on two brothers exhaust. i know this bike shouldnt have the power of a newer inline four 1000 but i feel it should be easily out peforming inline 600s of its time period and my problem is im able to beat them but not have the kind of pull on them i think it should is it just me thinking incorrectly or is my bike not performing like it should?

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Have it dyno'd and see what you're putting down. That's the only way to know really.

Any modern 600 will be able to keep up or walk away from the RC51 on the track, provided other things are about the same.

A gearing change wil also help. I did -1/+1 and seemed to like it. Made the front want to come up exiting turns in first through third gear.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Welcome to owning an RC51. Everything is bitchin' but the power. Good ergos, Rock of Gibraltar solid handling, awesome sounds, and slower than your average mail truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I bought it based off what I had read about the handling and that was definatly as advertised I just feel like it should have a more torque feeling I mean it won't even clutch up in second other than just barely lift the tire off the ground

·
Registered
339 Posts
I bought it based off what I had read about the handling and that was definatly as advertised I just feel like it should have a more torque feeling I mean it won't even clutch up in second other than just barely lift the tire off the ground
If thats the case you have a problem.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Or he just hasn't yet leaned how to "ask" the bike to wheelie... It took me a while to get mine to wheelie, and I'm still not great at it, but I can say the bike would far rather lean over than stand up. It's a race bike, not a stunt bike...

I've been astonished at how slow this bike is. Handles great, but it's asthmatic. Just is what it is, and always will be. Just part of the RC51 experience.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yep that why I miss my Cbr 929rr power . I could just blip the throttle and the front would lift very easy. The. Bike was very light thoe compaired to the RC . I keep the fuel tank low to keep it lite . Full tank on RC makes it feel like a tug boat . It's a different bike no its not typical. Like r1s. Gsxrs. Ect.. The RC is in a league of its own

·
Registered
317 Posts
Learning how to ride bikes out of the hole will help tremendously when racing older 600's and even 750's i come out of the hole at about 8k and ride the clutch out "i know its hell on the clutch but clutches and oil ain't that expensive :D", most people i see drag racing leave like they're a grandma at a redlight. lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
The rc certainly will never keep up with new liter bikes, but i always seem to have enough power to get myself into plenty of fun in the twisties. Plus you cant beat that sound!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ok ok I don't want to sound like a total squid but, a few weeks ago I raced my buddy over a bridge here in Tampa bay. Are bridges a a few miles so you can usually get a large gap with no cars at all if you hit it at the correct time. I myself like early sunday mornings. Any who we took off from 3rd gear at about 70 mph and when we hit 130mph he just started walking away. We both have supersprox 520 kits with -1 in front and +2 in the rear. He was on a CBR 1000 . I thought I could take him but failed hard. :(

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ok ok I don't want to sound like a total squid but

Ok sorry but thats exactly what you sound like:rolleyes
Your giving up prob 30-40hp on a cbr1000 plus your bike is prob 30lb heavier.

The RC isnt a drag bike, its not meant to be the fasted light to light on main street.
With the right gearing you could prob outrun your buddy, but only if he gave you a head start;)

Your just using it wrong!

Find some twistie's and the RC shines. Honestly though, a cbr with a decent rider will still prob out perform your bike. It just is what it is..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Guys... you have to remember. The RC-51 was designed in the late 90s. Aside from an update in 2002 it was mainly unchanged. Your riding almost 15 year old technology. If you bought it for bragging rights on the track or street against today's bikes your seriously outgunned even by 600's. Even with a huge investment in engine work you would be blown away by the crop of new liter bikes that are poking at 200 bhp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts